Proof research carbon or Barlein 5R Stainless ?

The most accurate rifle I've ever owned is a Remington .260 with a 5R rifled barrel.

I'd be hard pressed to go with anything else on my future builds.

I haven't owned one yet but the 3 groove Lilja barrels have piqued my interest.

I know carbon fiber barrels are lighter and the cool thing to do now but I'm not yet convinced they are the way to go.

I wish Kirby was around, I always appreciate his expertise on this subject.
The 3 groove lilja is made for running standard bullets as fast as possible fyi I've got one in 25 WSM.

Spoke with my GS (SPR) when contemplating whether I should go with a Proof Sendero or a Bartlein CF. He basically stated that he has seen outstanding consistency with Bartlein, but since I was wanting a light weight build, the Proof would offer weight advantage. He also mentioned the Proof is the most aesthetically pleasing CF barrel, for whatever that brings to the table. I went with the Proof. Either one will work depending on your priorities.

My Carbon is 7-2oz 338NM 26'' Was built by KK Jense, Proofs lead smith,pre proof rifle

Attachments

• IMG_0084.JPG
    IMG_0084.JPG
    708.4 KB · Views: 78
Bartlein m24 and my next barrel bartlein weight is my friend so I don't look for lite if I am looking for accuracy but I am 6.3 tall 200lbs if it is heavy it will lay there.my best shooting 22 rifles are heavy.I just don't shoot lite rifles unless it's close and thick but you do what works for you and good luck 👍

Bartlien arguably has the best reputation for accuracy and consistency in barrel making. And they can do pretty much anything you want in a barrel. The last two barrels I bought are Bartlien, 5R gain twist. The 5R rifling is easier on jackets and produces less friction, the gain twist starts heavier projectiles spinning easier as well as continually sealing better all the way to the muzzle. I also went with left hand rotation to help mitigate coriolis effect in the Northern hemisphere. Very few makers offer, or can do this kind of work. I didn't have these two fluted, as I was more concerned with rigidity, but fluting does reduce weight and will generally be just as rigid as the "same weight" non- fluted barrel. I do like the looks of fluted barrels, and gave many of them. There are lots of options you can take advantage of in a good custom barrel.

Bartlien arguably has the best reputation for accuracy and consistency in barrel making. And they can do pretty much anything you want in a barrel. The last two barrels I bought are Bartlien, 5R gain twist. The 5R rifling is easier on jackets and produces less friction, the gain twist starts heavier projectiles spinning easier as well as continually sealing better all the way to the muzzle. I also went with left hand rotation to help mitigate coriolis effect in the Northern hemisphere. Very few makers offer, or can do this kind of work. I didn't have these two fluted, as I was more concerned with rigidity, but fluting does reduce weight and will generally be just as rigid as the "same weight" non- fluted barrel. I do like the looks of fluted barrels, and gave many of them. There are lots of options you can take advantage of in a good custom barrel.
Thank you for your response !

I have a couple heavy palma barrels that were "murder hornet" fluted by LRI. One is a Benchmark and one is a K&P. They both shoot 2" groups at 525 yards pretty consistently and weigh almost exactly the same as Proof Carbon barrels of the same length. Not cheap, but if you have a barrel that shoots well but you wish was way lighter then it's much cheaper and faster than buying a new barrel. I'm going to be sending them another Rock Creek here shorty to do it again.

Hmmm. I didn't think about a gain twist but that would be perfect on the 30 caliber heavy bullets, especially the long for caliber monos like the Badlands 205 super bulldozer 2 bullets that require and 8.5 twist or faster.

Start out at 9'ish and gain to 8.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I didn't think about a gain twist but that would be perfect on the 30 caliber heavy bullets, especially the long for caliber monos like the Badlands 205 super bulldozer 2 bullets that require and 8.5 twist.

Start out at 9'ish and gain to 8.
Exactly, Bartlien recommends no more than one inch gain, however they have been involved with people experimenting with quite a lot more transition with long heavy for caliber bullets. Many competitive shooter use slight gain twist barrels just for the sealing benefit. The first gain twist I saw was the 20 mm Vulcan that starts out straight and ends like a cork screw. They needed to get heavy projectiles rotating and up to speed without stripping the rotating bands off. I have two, a 338 LM 5R LH 1:10.35 to 1:9.35 and a 6.5 PRC 5R LH 1:8.5 to 1:7.5 both are 1/4 moa barrels and I feel they help reduce initial shot start pressure. They work for me!

I have had and currently have multiple rifles - AR's, bolt guns, small to large calibers with both carbon barrels. Overall the Bartlein performs better at all distances, is more consistent, has less POI shift and cleans better than the PROOF.

Bartlein barrels for sure. I have had better accuracy with a variety of bullets and Bartlein barrels than the proof barrels maybe liking a bullet or two. I did get lucky with a proof barrel custom 300 prc that shoots phenomenal with even factory ammo, it's rubbed in my face every time I talk to the guy who purchased it from me😂😂😂
Love Bartlein barrels, you just can't go wrong with them. I also have a proof cf 26" 6 creed that will shoot with any premium barrel.
And last but not least a 28" krieger stainless fluted in 6.5saum. I would not want to pick which is my fav of the 3. There are many more great manufacturers, great to have so much choice!