Proof research carbon or Barlein 5R Stainless ?

How much weight does it save? Or is it mainly for looks?
Yes, mainly for looks. Saves approximately 2 ounces if done by manufacture, which is the only way to go. You can cut more of the shank or the end of the barrel if two ounces is important.

I have a Bartlein 2B stainless in 7mm-08 and a #4 contour in .300 WBY. Both shoot tiny, little groups and I have the upmost confidence in both rifles.

I have Proof Sendero Lite Carbon Fibers in 6mm CM and a 7mm REM Mag. They shoot equally as well as the Bartleins.

I would buy either again, absolutely hands down. It would just depend on my end goal or what I am in the mood for on the rifle setup. Bottom line, I can't tell you one is more accurate than the other as they all shoot extremely well and I am completely satisfied.
Thank you for your response.

The only proof I've loaded for is my 110 ultralight in 28 nosler, it's shooting 195s at 3125. Im happy with it.

Attachments

• BF80EFBF-B204-4249-93F1-4402C45FCB18.jpeg
    BF80EFBF-B204-4249-93F1-4402C45FCB18.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
I would have to say if I don't have a barrel burner I would definitely consider a proof barrel after seeing how good my sons edge shoots. If it was a barrel burner then I would consider a stainless.

#3 heavy sporter and spiral flutes? Just confirming?
A few years ago I has a custom rifle built with a Bartlein #3 barrel diamond fluted. I had never held a diamond fluted before and didn't accurately imagine how small it would be. After receiving the finished rifle I sent it back to have the #3 removed and a #4 CF bull profile Bartlein I was keeping as a replacement barrel installed. The barrel was fine. It was just thinner than I wanted.
Please correct if my statement is wrong. Bartlein CF barrels are approximately 20-25% lighter than the same Bartlein profile in SS. Other manufacturers are lighter than Bartlein as Bartlein leaves more SS on their CF barrels. I have Bartleins in both & they shoot great in my rifles.

Flip a coin, they both make a decent barrel. The 5r gets you nothing in most applications over a 4 groove…so that's a personal preference. With todays supply and demand, pick what you can get the soonest.

My issue with Proof Carbon is if they don't list it as a standard offering you are out of luck. At least with Bartlein and pretty much any other Carbon barrel maker on the planet you can order it exactly how you want it.

I have 3 Bartlein barrels now and all shoot less than 0.1 inch groups. Light Palma contour, no flutes, 5R. Have had great luck with Hart barrels in the past. With today's manufacturing I bet any maker you hear about from members here will shoot very nicely for you.