Info on Proof research blanks?

DJ Fergus

Can someone tell me what purpose the raised radius around the bore of the breech end and turned down muzzle end of the proof research serve on the non carbon fiber/all steel barrel blanks If any purpose at all. Is it possible these surfaces would be considered trued to the bore?

Send a picture. I can only offer a guess that these may be a part of the manufacturing process to aid in their rifling or lapping process, letting the end user crown the muzzle and chamber ream which eliminates it. Just a wild, wild guess....

It's common for some barrel companies to send blanks that are 2" longer than finished.

Ok, I knew that the muzzle end gets at least an inch off of it regardless of what brand & that after the chamber is cut the raised radius will be gone. Just curious about why proofs are the only blanks I've saw like this. I suppose the raised radius may possibly be some sort of aid during the lapping and/or manufacturing process.

Can someone tell me what purpose the raised radius around the bore of the breech end and turned down muzzle end of the proof research serve on the non carbon fiber/all steel barrel blanks If any purpose at all.

Those two features are from turning the OD of the barrel and from winding the carbon fiber onto the contoured blank. The feature at the breech end is from holding the barrel on a center and they face off the breech. The spud on the muzzle end is used for spinning the barrel while adding the carbon fiber.

Live center and dog drive one the chuck side. Everything is turned off the center of the bore they are not drilled perfectly center from one end to the other when drilled.

OP said "on the non-carbon fiber/all steel barrels".
I assume Proof makes all the blanks the same, then turns down the CF barrels to a lighter profile. Before wrapping them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.