Info on Proof research blanks?

Lazy?..No..What if you want threads for a break and I only want it crowned?
That turns away when it's finished.

There's still the muzzle to thread for a brake or to crown, I'm talking about the "shank" left after that that every other company turns off. Christensen even threads and crowns their barrels if I remember right. Less steps, less labor, more profit.

No one sends a barrel out that you don't need to turn of stuff to get to quality bore, I'd rather do it dialed in in my lathe and have all my cuts bases on that than pay someone to just three jaw it to make it look pretty.

All these conversations about why, remind me of being a manufacturing engineer in gears and shafts for jet engines. We gun drilled a lot of parts. Cost was always a consideration but making it to the drawing was everything.
Gun drilling was not an easy process, especially with high nickel, chrome and cobalt alloys. It required a lot of the same processes, tooling surfaces for centers, straightening and it was done early in the process to establish the centerline. Leaving the extra material to be trimmed off by the buyer was a cost decision.

Years with Pfauter Hobs and Reishauer Gear Grinders and I learned about concentric and center line!
Then I went to a Norton between centers grinder. None of this barrel making is
too off the wall it's all fairly standard. Drilling with hollow drills with high pressure
coolant with centering bushings should get you a hole to start with?
And if they tried something other than steel like Waspalloy or Inconel barrels would
last twice as long.

Last edited:
Years with Pfauter Hobs and Reishauer Gear Grinders and I learned about concentric and center line!
Then I went to a Norton between centers grinder. None of this barrel making is
too off the wall it's all fairly standard. Drilling with hollow drills with high pressure
coolant with centering bushings should get you a hole to start with?
At Garrett? Sounds like it.....was there from 77 to 83 in gear line. All that equipment you mentioned...
Except a gun drilled part like a tie rod would set you back about $15,000. Gun barrels are bargains.....

No at a printing press company in Hamilton Ohio It was a state of the art shop!
We made presses for the Treasury Dept. that made money!
then to a gear.. spline shaft job shop lots for Allied Signal GE and LeBlond?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.