Projecting a waypoint

Gerry

My Garmin Etrex Vista cx used with a rangefinder allows me to project the exact location of the kill over there on the other ridge, and guides me to it!

Starting threads when you have been smoking too much of the dried leaves from your indoor basement garden results in JWP coming to see you.

Telling my son to climb down from the ridge line and go over to the other ridge and drag the deer two miles to the road leaves me free to walk back to camp and have a beer and a Snickers bar and still have time to drive the truck around to the next valley. Its just a whole lot easier than your method. If you ever get straight, you should go and find a nice girl and have a son or two. My only mistake was to only have one. A person really ought to have two or three each about 5 years a part so you would always have a deer retriever handy. Of course, they cost a little more than a Garmin Etrex to bring home from the hospital and the dam car insurance is really steep plus the eat more than they are worht.

im 73 years old. my father has been dead for almost 50 years. one of my biggest regrets is that i allowed him to make jokes about me, in order to get a laugh. yet few were more sensitive about their own feelings than he was. not a good legacy.

Sometimes they need some supervision.

Phil450yds.jpg

It has been brought to my attention, that my humor was not appreciated.

It is unclear if it is actually better to delete my posts or to just leave them. If I make a mistake I am not real happy about it; but, I can usually find enough backbone to apologize.

So, to Gerry, my apologies to you and I hope you will post a few pictures of your rifles and some hunts you have been on. If you go down to the section on Nature Photography it should be clear that I was just in a humorous mood yesterday afternoon and I am sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way.

Jim

Well, I thought that was pretty funny. My friend, and fellow drift boat owner, wanted to bring his son fishing with us. I said "I didn't think Jake liked to fish", he laughed, and said "Jake isn't going to fish, he's going to row us down the river." That worked out like a charm, since we could fish all day without having to swap time on the rowers seat, and all we had to endure was a little spinning now and then.

For the last five seasons my son has had to get all the deer back to camp, six per year, and skin them all while I watched and drank beer. The price he paid for me paying for the lease, letting him sleep in my camper, filling his truck up with diesel so he could get back home, etc, etc. Now I'm providing him with a job too.
Some people here have issues they should see a shrink about.
Merry Christmas

How do I put this without stepping on anybodies toes?

I have been informed that I offended you Gerry. Please put yourself in my shoes for a moment.

If you were to come here and introduce yourself and offer some good ideas that work great I woud gladly accept these ideas. Or at least entertain them. To come here without even saying hello or introducing yourself and just try and plant ideas in my head to get me to buy something doesnt sit well with me or alot of others. You could maybe see why I thought of the thread as spam.

So, in short, if you would like to come and say hello and introduce yourself I think you find more than just a warm reception here.

If you do this I will offer you a sincere personal AND a public appology.

Respectfully,

Michael Eichele

Last edited:
well kudos to you bob. it has been said we can tie knots with our tounge we cant untie with our teeth. and from time to time were all guilty of that. it shows what your made of to respond as you did. it has also been said a pat on the back goes further than a kick in the ***. good hunting and merry xmas.

Eaglet, I had not even held a gps until a month ago, so know little about them, and nothing about types other than this discontinued vista cx I got off e-bay for cheap. I had no idea they were capable of projecting a waypoint, first by determing the direction with an electric compass and then entering the distance to the object. I know some are limited by the distance increment that can be entered; no less than a tenth of a mile. This one will enter distance in yards, and combined with a range finder that measures in yards, results are amazingly accurate; a tool I have needed for a long time.
Gerry

A couple of things to remember.

The Vista has no accurate aiming system such as a regular compass does and so it is hard to get a refined azimuth. Elk that are a mile away are within range of a lot of the rifles on this forum and I spent a considerable amount of time trying to pin down exactly where they were one day from an observation point.

It does not like tree canopy, but not surprisingly, we don't get longrange shots through heavy tree cover.

Mostly, I use mine to keep my truck from getting lost. Oftentimes my truck will wander around and not be where it was a few hours ago, so in new country I always waypoint the truck.

Finally, you will find that the difference between what your GPS says, what a paper map says and Google earth says can be 200- 400 yards different. Just my two cents is that the GPS is at its very best when used with a really good paper map and a really good compass. A poor quality compass will not do you any better than the GPS.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.