Springfield Waypoint—an owner's story of disappointment and abject failure

TurboD

Hi all, I've posted about this rifle before on here, but wanted to put together a story for anyone interested in this rifle. Here's the link to the original thread https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/springfield-waypoint-bad-groups-troubleshoot-help.301879/ . The TLDR version is this: do NOT buy this rifle. It does not perform as advertised and is liable to fail you.

My rifle has been to Springfield twice, has spent over 5 months at their facilities, and still suffered a catastrophic failure by the second box of ammo.

Here's the story. I bought my Waypoint 6.5 Creedmoor with the carbon barrel. After 150-200 rounds of 1.5-2 MOA from match ammo, I sent it back to them to fix the accuracy issues. 8 weeks later, they sent me the same rifle back with a new barrel. They didn't tell me why they replaced the barrel other than their tech said it just "didn't look right."

The first time the rifle came back, it shot within their ¾ MOA guarantee when ice cold. However, on the second or third string of fire, it would open up to the 1.5 MOA of the last barrel. I sent it back a second time. After some back and forth with the Springfield warranty department, they agreed to send me a brand new rifle in 6.5 PRC. Great, a brand new rifle to start fresh from… or so I thought.

After over 14 weeks at their facilities, Springfield sent me the brand new 6.5 PRC rifle. I shot a grand total of 24 rounds through the rifle before the firing pin sheared off at the tip. Attached are pictures of the firing pin sheared off. Poor heat treating and metal quality.

Springfield's lack of ability to get the basic things right is astonishing. An inaccurate precision rifle is not acceptable given what they ask for this rifle, but it is entirely unacceptable that they have an entire batch of new rifles out there with firing pins ready to break. Imagine sinking all the time and money into a hunting trip for your rifle to go click when it's supposed to go boom. I will never purchase another product from this company again.

I like many others took interest in waypoints due to all the specs and the great looking stock etc. I've read a lot of posts now between here and on snipers hide about their issues with QC. I think they have inconsistent components that they are building with and when you get good ones you get a good rifle. When you get bad, they throw parts at it and try to keep the customer happy. This cold vs warm grouping with the barrels is not abnormal. They clearly are not testing a large percentage of these rifles as they're produced.