Springfield Armory Waypoint 2020 6.5cm

mgrunloh

I've fondled this gun so much at the lgs that it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have nightmares about me. It's the adjustable comb model with the carbon fiber barrel. Want to use it coyote and deer, probably a pro horn hunt out west and maybe even elk if I feel it's up to task.

It's got a hefty price tag though for a off the shelf hunting rifle. Is there a better option out there? Bergara Tikka etc……

I have both Bergara HMR and the SA WP in 6.5CM buying the WP for my daughter with the CF barrel and adjustable cheek. It is consistently shooting tighter groups than my Bergara out to 800 but not by much. The action is not as smooth chambering a round but holding it is far more comfortable. We just came out of the mountains elk hunting and I had to switch to my daughters WP because my bolt kept freezing up at 20 degrees in heavy snow. Hers did not and she gave me the evil eye using it but she already tagged out. She prefers the recoil on mine because its about 2-3 lbs heavier so I added a 1LB block on a bottom rail at forearm end.

She hammered a bull at 170 yards DRT. Cant post vid of him dropping will try to convert to .gif if I can figure that out.

I am currently a bigger fan of the SA.

Attachments

• 0D5107A7-6B71-4CDD-9950-394AB89EF0B6.jpeg
    0D5107A7-6B71-4CDD-9950-394AB89EF0B6.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 80
  • 1E584FC4-E0EB-43DF-92BE-A363EE235AF8.jpeg
    1E584FC4-E0EB-43DF-92BE-A363EE235AF8.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 70
  • 0384B726-094D-4FEB-BAD8-30F1F227B7BB.jpeg
    0384B726-094D-4FEB-BAD8-30F1F227B7BB.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 69
I'd look at the Seekins havak also. If the websites are correct it's steel barrel comes in below the waypoints carbon wrapped, doesn't have the adjustable cheek piece but has a lower MSRP. When using an EH1 or similar stock I find I don't need an adjustable for 40-56mm from objectives. YMMV

Unless using a huge scope or high rings the adjustable cheek piece isn't a requirement but, if you want it go for it. That being said you can't build a rifle with same components for their asking price. I haven't handled a seekins but the waypoint looks/feels great to me I own a Christensen MPR and it has a similar fit/finish. If you don't want the time/expensive of building a full custom gun it's hard to beat. If you're not planning on shooting extremely long range you don't "need" a 1/4 minute gun. I'm thinking the waypoint in 6mm creed will be my next one because I can't build one much cheaper, I'm going non-adjustable and want the 20" barrel to run suppressed. My MPR is 6.5PRC with 26" barrel is a bit unwieldy in a blind and won't allow for suppressor use it'd be way too long for my taste.