Problem with Lapua Brass

Hogonit

While loading new Lapua brass in .338 LM, about half of a new box of 100 would not slide easily into my RCBS #14 shell holder. I can force them in but if I do that then removing after bullet seating is a genuine pain. This is brand new brass from Finland purchased from Brownells.

A phone call and 3 days later I received my second box of 100 and experiencing similar issue. A quick glance at the box label revealed same "Lot" number on both boxes.

This problem gets worse as now I have tested the brass in my #14 shell holder for my Hornady Lock-N-Load Case Prep Center and NONE of the brass will fit into the Hornady shell holder.

A quick check with the caliper indicates a difference of .002 on the slot dimension in the profile in front of the case head. The ones that fit easy into the Shellholder are .5075 and the ones that get stuck are .5095, whereas the sholder profile above the slot in the RCBS #14 Shellholder is .5095.

This seems to be a Quality Control matter on the manufacturing side, but this is my first experience with this caliber and wanted to tap into some of the experiences in this community for some insight before I plan next steps.

A Little Corn-fused

I have had that problem infrequently with other shell holders. I simply take a small flat metal file and run it across both ends of the shell holder entrance (i.e., ends of the "horseshoe") This quickly ends the problem and has no effect on case alignment.

Unfortunately, no one makes a shell holder for the 338 LM round. The reason seems to be that brass from different manufacturers have different dimensions. It different enough that the shell holders won't exactly fit all the different brass. If you check your RCBS #14 shell holder with Lapua brass you'll find that the brass is not resting on the bottom of the shell holder but is resting on the lips instead. This puts a lot of pressure on the lips when resizing the brass and will eventually break the lips. Hornady brass does not do this.

I've had better luck with the Lee shell holder made for the 45-70 brass when using Lapua brass.

Thanks to all! A few new thoughts to try and will definitely try them all until I get it so that I can use this Lapua brass. This size is as expensive as it is for Norma for my Wby 30-378, almost $3.00 apiece by the time you add shipping from either Midway or Brownells.

Nimrodmar10, I also noted the minimal height of the notch above the case head and wasn't sure if that dimension may be the cause of my problem. Although I will try the Lee and Redding case holders for my Lee Press, I might have to have my Hornady case holder milled in order to fit the Lapua brass because Lee or Redding are not going to make the holder that will fit my Case Prep Center.

Thanks again to everyone for their input. I am relatively new to reloading and the continued pursuit of the 'magic' load combination that will help to improve printing results down range, as well as beginning of understanding the myriad of variables associated with the rifle that can impact accuracy results. This site and all of you who contribute is an absolute 'bonanza' for me. I appreciate the help along my journey.

My 338 Norma,that I believe the LA IS parent,has a base of .585. I am using a RCBS #48 for it

While loading new Lapua brass in .338 LM, about half of a new box of 100 would not slide easily into my RCBS #14 shell holder. I can force them in but if I do that then removing after bullet seating is a genuine pain. This is brand new brass from Finland purchased from Brownells.

A phone call and 3 days later I received my second box of 100 and experiencing similar issue. A quick glance at the box label revealed same "Lot" number on both boxes.

This problem gets worse as now I have tested the brass in my #14 shell holder for my Hornady Lock-N-Load Case Prep Center and NONE of the brass will fit into the Hornady shell holder.

A quick check with the caliper indicates a difference of .002 on the slot dimension in the profile in front of the case head. The ones that fit easy into the Shellholder are .5075 and the ones that get stuck are .5095, whereas the sholder profile above the slot in the RCBS #14 Shellholder is .5095.

This seems to be a Quality Control matter on the manufacturing side, but this is my first experience with this caliber and wanted to tap into some of the experiences in this community for some insight before I plan next steps.

A Little Corn-fused

I had ordered a box of lapua brass when it was on sale also. Do you happen to know the lot number of the lapua brass ?

I've ordered Redding #35 and Hornady #43 shell holders and will post results found.
Thanks to all responders.

I'm using the Redding #35 with no problems. 2 different lots of Lapua and some Lapua headstamp military once fired. Friend didn't like his RCBS either.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.