Ran into a problem with 338 Lapua

You lost me. Sizing and seating are 2 separate operations. You use a seating die to crimp, which is not advised for what we are doing, but if you look closely at a factory 30-378 it is crimped. Loading for a hand cannon of course common practice and necessary. I can see how Broz advice would work on seating and I WILL try on my factory RCBC, as of last night I tried to fine tune and reseat some bullets. I think they took a SET. And with die set same, all set .005 strong, press spring? Bullet being locked to neck for some time? tHAT WAS COMPARED to reloads I just ran. I ran them down, but they did not seat same, but consistant difference.

You lost me. Sizing and seating are 2 separate operations. You use a seating die to crimp, which is not advised for what we are doing, but if you look closely at a factory 30-378 it is crimped. Loading for a hand cannon of course common practice and necessary. I can see how Broz advice would work on seating and I WILL try on my factory RCBC, as of last night I tried to fine tune and reseat some bullets. I think they took a SET. And with die set same, all set .005 strong, press spring? Bullet being locked to neck for some time? tHAT WAS COMPARED to reloads I just ran. I ran them down, but they did not seat same, but consistant difference.

You're right, sizeing and seating are two separate operations. And I am not crimping the 338 LM loads. Broz's advice will not work on your RCBS dies either. They have a crimping ring also.

I have had this problem with my 6.5x284. Usually two causes. As was mentioned, with compressed loads and a light neck tension. Also, had this happen with neck tensions that were too tight, using Bergers. The thin jacket will give inpercetively under the pressure of the seater stem even though it is well mated to the ogive of the bullet. Sometimes you can actually see the deformation. I use the Redding competition S type dyes. I might be wrong, but I think the spring loaded sliding shell guide will bottom out on the press ram before the main body of the dye does. I have always been cautious about camming over with the slider type dyes. It is possible I may not be using the right shell holder(RCBS), but I have not had issues with COAL when the two factors mentioned were under control. They are usually within the variation of the meplat. In any case, I would try to find the cause, as opposed to sort by length.

Great point!!

I was wondering about inconsistant neck tension too. How many firings on the brass since annealed?

Annealing is definately something to consider as is the Lee Collet Neck Die. I've honed out neck dies to the point I can remove the expander ball assembly for a specific neck diameter on brass that has been neck turned but like the results from the Lee die better.

But the OP is using Redding bushing dies. I never use the epander on these either. I simply choose the correct bushing for .002" of neck tension. But I anneal regularly too to keep it consistant.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.