Problems with 338 lapua fps

I have 49.5 " of drop confirmed at 500 yards when zeroed at 200

I would check it at 800 to 1000 and see what you get. I am thinking you will need to raise your velocity to get back on track. Do this with some 3 shot groups on paper or cardboard not a rock. Then you can accurately measure what you need to correct in inches to center of groups. This will need to be done with accuratly measured distances too. A good laser RF will be needed or attach a license plate to the target so it reflects.

The Bergers have shown me tighter groups time after time. Especially past 1000 yards. Then when you go past sub sonic velocities about 1800 to 1900 yards the Bergers are way way better. At least this is my experience at 4000 ft of altitude and above.

Jeff

Ok I will try and ramp up the velocities but probably will wait for the lapua brass cause I think these cheap Hornady cases r too soft and swell in the chamber and cause my bolt to lock up

Ok I will try and ramp up the velocities but probably will wait for the lapua brass cause I think these cheap Hornady cases r too soft and swell in the chamber and cause my bolt to lock up

Depending on the rifle chamber and barrel tolerances I have seen pressure with 91 gr of H-1000 and a 300 gr bullet. So be aware you could be at max. I would back off to 90 gr and work up in 1/2 gr steps with the new Lapua brass.

Jeff

PS : I was not saying you need a hotter charge. Just that 500 yards does not tell the true story. You need accurate drops from farther out with the current load. I feel your program and chrono are what is fooling you.

Jeff

Depending on the rifle chamber and barrel tolerances I have seen pressure with 91 gr of H-1000 and a 300 gr bullet. So be aware you could be at max. I would back off to 90 gr and work up in 1/2 gr steps with the new Lapua brass.

Jeff

PS : I was not saying you need a hotter charge. Just that 500 yards does not tell the true story. You need accurate drops from farther out with the current load. I feel your program and chrono are what is fooling you.

Jeff
Ok thanks a lot I will shoot it at 1000 this weekend and see what happens

That doesn't sound too far off really. Also how far out are you seating the bullets. Pressure tends to go down as you seat the bullet further in the case.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question for ya. If the bullet is seated really deep in the case, and the pressure drops (I understand that concept), does the velocity also drop as a result? Likewise, if, say I were to load a round with the bullet seated into the lands and the pressure spike goes up (I understand that concept as well), then would the velocity increase as a result?

I started to make a separate thread regarding this question because I noticed that when I was working up loads with my Bergers my velocities seemed to show the opposite. My rounds that were loaded to the shortest COAL seemed to give the fastest velocities. My rounds that were loaded into the lands were the slowest.

Not to hijack the thread, but I have a question for ya. If the bullet is seated really deep in the case, and the pressure drops (I understand that concept), does the velocity also drop as a result? Likewise, if, say I were to load a round with the bullet seated into the lands and the pressure spike goes up (I understand that concept as well), then would the velocity increase as a result?

I started to make a separate thread regarding this question because I noticed that when I was working up loads with my Bergers my velocities seemed to show the opposite. My rounds that were loaded to the shortest COAL seemed to give the fastest velocities. My rounds that were loaded into the lands were the slowest.
In my limited experience in one caliber using h1000 and either 208GR Amax and 210 Berger VLD it's the same. I wrote a letter to the guy who wrote the pressure points article and he said slightly compressed load often give best velocities but lower pressure and low ES and DS in muzzle velocity.

In my limited experience in one caliber using h1000 and either 208GR Amax and 210 Berger VLD it's the same. I wrote a letter to the guy who wrote the pressure points article and he said slightly compressed load often give best velocities but lower pressure and low ES and DS in muzzle velocity.

I see. I also noticed that the ES of my Berger loads seemed to vary with seating depths with no obvious pattern.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.