25 Creedmoor Lapua brass problem

TX Badger

I just got 100 pcs of lapua 6.5 cm brass, a 6.5 creed redding type S FL die, and a .282 TI bushing.

I culled out 9 pcs that had dings on the neck or were not concentric within a thous. or so, lubed them up, and started resizing.

Here's the problem, the brass starts at .288 and after going through the .282 bushing, it's .2785.
Worse yet it's at 3-5 thous. of runout.

So far I've tried flipping over the bushing.
Confirmed that it is floating
Tried running a .256 button through the necks
None of these fixed it

Redding says try stepping down to .285 first so I ordered another bushing today. Their service was great and I hope that works. Just wanted to see if anyone else had run into this or had a suggestion.

I've never turned necks before so I wasn't planning on it. I guess I may have to since I'm sizing these down. I'll see what the 2nd bushing does then I'll consider buying a neck turning tool. Which one do you use/recommend?

This is pretty common when using bushing dies for necking down. Not saying it happens to everyone but it happens.

When I was shooting 22x47L and 6x47L necking down from the parent case I had crooked necks. My gunsmith advises they would fireform out and he was right.

What fixed all this was using a FL non bushing die. Never had a problem since with multiple wildcats. Shoot them the way they are. You can experiment with the ones you culled but don't throw them out. I've had some ugly lapua brass that shot fine

Joe

2 things I'd suggest, run a .283 bushing and use an expander mandrel to set your final neck tension. I use anywhere from a .255 to a .257 mandrel to set my neck tension. you'll need to experiment to see if it likes tight or loose, but I'm sure it'll form out in the end.

you open another possible issue with the donut in the bottom of the neck. when you expand a smaller neck to the larger, you end up using a little bit of the should as the next of the larger neck. so, there may be a little ring that ends up at the bottom of your neck. that ring can cause strange pressure spikes if you seat the bullet down past it. if you're shooting 25 creed in a shot action, you'll most definitely be seating past the bottom of the next.

I've never turned necks before so I wasn't planning on it. I guess I may have to since I'm sizing these down. I'll see what the 2nd bushing does then I'll consider buying a neck turning tool. Which one do you use/recommend?
Hornady will make you a form die for about $100.

They said they would have it back in stock within weeks of selling out and that was a couple months ago. Emailed for an update and got no response. I was running out of time to get this running this season.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.