Lapua 6.5 Creedmoor brass

TackDriv3r

The new Lapua brass for the 6.5 Creedmoor is out. It uses the small primer instead of the standard large primer and I researched that if you use the standard large rifle firing pin, you may pierce the small primers and the best thing is to use the small firing pin for small primers, is that correct?

My gun builder is building me a 6.5 Creed that uses the medium firing pin which will work on small and large rifle primers with no issues. Opinions is appreciated. Thanks

Doesnt appear like anyone has given it a go yet with a factory rifle and standard firing pin (or at least hasnt shared) so I went for it... I am running a factory Ruger American Predator which has a 22" barrel. I have heard that pierced primers can be one effect of the large firing pin on small primer but luckily I did not have that happen so far. I did a very small test just to see how they would act. Here is what I found.

new Lapua brass ran through whidden bushing die leaving .003 neck tension
2.800" COL
42, 43, 44 grains H100V (one shot each over Magnetospeed)
CCI BR-4
2671, 2700, 2727 fps respectively
All primers appeared to have very deep primer strike (when compared to cci 200 primers from hornady brass) but none pierced. They were not overly flattened or cratered just deep strikes.

Since I dont have a ton of small rifle primer choices on hand I tried the only other 2 I had with one shot apiece at the 42 grain load.
The next primer I tried was a CCI 400 which looked almost similar to the BR-4 but it only clocked in at 2632 fps.
Last was the CCI 450. This primer didnt have as deep of a primer strike but it was definately cratered and only put 2617 fps.

Take what you want from this very small sample but I think I will be having my bolt bushed down.

morning, I am missing the point of a small primer, versus the large primer

pocket. the 6.5 is an outstanding caliber. was not touted for years for some reason.

the lapua brass is very good. I use lapua brass for my 308Win.

the more spark, to advance the ignition of the powder in the casing.

is this a target shooting only? very curious as the use of small primer

holes in mid-range calibers. THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

Lapua uses small primer pockets for one of their offerings in 308 Win as well. The BR cases use the small primer/pockets too. Many believe it can add to accuracy. If there was one issue it might be the use of these cartridges in very cold hunting conditions. Perhaps the small rifle magnum version would help.

From Accurate shooter:

Large vs. Small Flash Holes in .308 Win Brass « Daily Bulletin

"Tests by U.S. Palma Team members showed that the small-flash-hole .308 brass possibly delivers lower Extreme Spread (ES) and Standard Deviation (SD) with some bullet/powder/primer combinations. All things being equal, a lower ES should reduce vertical dispersion at long range."

As for what size firing pin.....I built a 6 BR with a standard SA Rem 700 action. The cartridge uses CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers. The rifle is super accurate and has no issue with pierced primers. A friend also built a 6 BR with another SA model 700 and he also has no issues.

Lapua uses small primer pockets for one of their offerings in 308 Win as well. The BR cases use the small primer/pockets too. Many believe it can add to accuracy. If there was one issue it might be the use of these cartridges in very cold hunting conditions. Perhaps the small rifle magnum version would help.

From Accurate shooter:

Large vs. Small Flash Holes in .308 Win Brass « Daily Bulletin

"Tests by U.S. Palma Team members showed that the small-flash-hole .308 brass possibly delivers lower Extreme Spread (ES) and Standard Deviation (SD) with some bullet/powder/primer combinations. All things being equal, a lower ES should reduce vertical dispersion at long range."

As for what size firing pin.....I built a 6 BR with a standard SA Rem 700 action. The cartridge uses CCI 450 small rifle magnum primers. The rifle is super accurate and has no issue with pierced primers. A friend also built a 6 BR with another SA model 700 and he also has no issues.

My very small test did use a small rifle magnum primer and it did look like the depth of the strike was less than the br-4 and 400 but was significantly cratered.
I also just had a 6 Dasher built on a Sako 85 Varmint that started life as a 243 and has a large firing pin and I have had no problem. It also hasnt showed the very deep strike marks as the Ruger American Predator has. Talking with my Smith about this and he said it is possible to have issues with pierced primers or blowback into the firing pin hole depending on the rifle.... he also said that lots of people have no problems with this like you have found and kind of depends on each rifle. He said the tighter tolerances of my sako would probably mean there would be less chance of issues with this.

morning, all of my 308 Lapua brass has large primer pockets.

Now I had weatherby brass with a normal primer pocket

but a smaller than normal flash hole. when prepping my brass

I configure all of the primer flash holes. I had this happen twice.

??? am I missing something? THK. U lightbulb:)gun)

Lapua used a small primer pocket to solve a ongoing problem of low Case life in existing 6.5cm brass at the time . Small primer pockets greatly increases Case life by delaying loose primer pockets and also aids in accuracy . Lapua brass is as good as it gets !!! Standard rem700 in 6.5cm , small primer = not a problem !!

Myself and several of my buddies has used both the Lapua small primer and Hornady(as well as other) cases with large primer designs. Case life due to primer pocket expansion is generally better. Accuracy and ES is comparable. All of us use the .625" (small) firing pins as opposed to the .75" large firing pin as is generally recommended for best ignition characteristics for small rifle primers. Blown primers seem to be attributable to the specific choice of primer cup thickness, load presure, and/or setting finish/condition of the firing pin. IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.