Probably know the answer that I just don't want to hear....

I just checked my Sierra Infinity load software (v7.3.4) and Accurate 1680 is not a recommended powder for .223 in the AR-15 or a bolt gun (they have separate data for each). Hope that helps somewhat...

Tried the kinetic puller, no go. I think they are just too light. I've used it on heavy bullets in the past fine. I have a collet puller but none to fit .224
It takes a lot of hits to get those light 55gr bullets out, but they will eventually come out. Just not sure if the juice is worth the squeeze. I struggled through 10 or so, 80+ might be beyond my patience.

GRIP-N-PULL gets into gripping the bullet much the same way a collet does - clamps down uniformly on surface of bullet. Sort of like bullet friendly pliers. No doubt faster than tightening a collet around a bullet and the area of bullet gripped appears to be approximately the same as my Hornady bullet puller. I will get the small rifle size, pull bullets and then measure & compare with those pulled with a collet puller. Shooting bad loads is a waste of components, time, shortens barrel life & potentially dangerous. Those skimpy plastic hammer inertia pullers are ineffective and when like used with a heavy steel shell holder can cause a primer then cartridge to explode - this would blast pieces of cartridge, plastic, and launch the steel shell holder up & away, hopefully not in your face.

Squashing a bullet out of round & chewing up its surface using pliers to pull bullets is not a good idea.

Ram Shot has load data for 1680 for .221 Fireball. In a situation where nothing else was available - for cautious, knowledgeable & experienced workers - it might sort of work but would be far from optimum. Quick load .223 calculations are only slightly elevated from those shown for .221 Fireball.

Upon pulling a bullet I make sure all the powder is out of the case - especially when pulling bullets that have had compressed charges, often there is about 3-5% of the powder remaining.

Last edited:
I have a 2003 Accurate manual that lists 19.5 as maximum charge with NOS 55 SBT, so you aren't too hot. The powder can be used but you won't find it in manuals because it isn't an ideal burn rate. I'd go ahead and shoot them.

20210207_122649.jpg
20210207_122649.jpg
20210207_122649.jpg
20210207_122716.jpg
20210207_122649.jpg
20210207_122716.jpg

Good move. You can bend the handle on some kinetic bullet pullets before they'll remove lightweight .224 bullets. Collet-style puller will get them outta there.

Why do you assume you will be wasting components?? Maybe it shoots well!!

Just pick 3 or 5 and shot it at a hundred. For sure you will be around 150fps slower than other ammo but... you may have 80 accurate rounds

JMTC...

Tried the kinetic puller, no go. I think they are just tooee light. I've used it on heavy bullets in the past fine. I have a collet puller but none to fit .224
More people i have seen use the kinetic puller wrong.Dont pound it on the bench,or floor.Use a shock absorbing stopper i.e.chuck of steel,face of a 3# hammer etc....
They work.

Why do you assume you will be wasting components?? Maybe it shoots well!!

Just pick 3 or 5 and shot it at a hundred. For sure you will be around 150fps slower than other ammo but... you may have 80 accurate rounds

JMTC...
Well, I shot 10 rounds to check out the older load with 1680 and they shot very well. I was running my can so I couldn't get my magneto on it to check speed. Not much of a comparison but they out shot some federal ball ammo I ran through the rifle as well. No pressure signs. All in all I don't think it was a bad load, however, I don't think I'll replicate it again. ;)

So it's been well below zero for going on two weeks and I've had time on my hand. I picked up a Savage model 10PC 20" in 223. Up until now, I've really only ran bulk ball ammo in my AR's and never felt like rolling my own for them. Things have changed and now I'd like to make this new rifle into a little tack driver. I started cleaning my gun room and going through supplies and found some handloads I did back in '03. I have no idea where I got the load info from but I think I may have to pull the bullets. I've got 19 that were shot out of the 100 I loaded up. I don't recall if they were any good as I was running ball ammo to get an AR that I purchased to run proper. After the rifle was running, I tried the handloads and never used since. The loads are 55gr SP over 20gr of accurate 1680 with CCI 400's. Everything I've read says no-go as powder is WAY too fast. So, do I pull the remaining 81 bullets, all of which will most likely be pulled with pliers, or save and shoot? I'm leaning on saving and to give a try when weather warms up. I also don't want to waste primers shooting garbage loads. Seems like it's either pull and toss bullets or shoot and waste primers. Has anyone ran 1680 in their 223? And, I know I should have kept better records...
Listen to bad 31 A kinetic puller is pretty cheap what powder and bullets you save and your prime brass would more than pay for the kinetic puller

Tried the kinetic puller, no go. I think they are just too light. I've used it on heavy bullets in the past fine. I have a collet puller but none to fit .224
Well thanks to Buster Hemlock and quick load he says they should be fine to shoot

This is my favorite way to pull bullets. Simple and covers a wide range.

Or you could just shoot them. Maybe shoot a few for groups and see how they do, if they aren't up to snuff, pull em.
image.jpg
I

In between jobs today I stopped at LGS and they had a 22 cal collet for my puller. So I think I'll just pull them and load some up with Varget. Sounds like I could use the loads but since they aren't anything I'd ever do again, might as well pull and save on components.
You have var get wow. Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.