I know that the 22 hornet is not a longe range cartridge

Lil' Gun is the powder of choice for the Hornet. Velos are outstanding and accuracy is great.

7mmrhb has a hornet loaded with lil' gun and 40 grain b-tips which will consistently hit a 9" gong at 500 yards! In fact, one warm day this spring, he even hit the same gong at 600 yards a few times! It is hard to believe that little case can do it, and I had to see it to believe it, but I am here to say that it absolutely happened.
Kind of makes me wonder why Dave Petzal proclaimed the hornet a 100 yard gun and the 220 swift useless past 300 yards. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I've never thought of shooting mine that far. I use it mostly for shooting gophers around the buildings. My load is 10.9 grns of H 4198 and Hornady 40 grn V Max

varmicide,
the 22hornet may not be a longe range cartridge but I have it on good info that 7mmrhb has proven that it is a good long range cartridge, and I am guessing he will post tomorrow !!!!!!???????
B

I just saw the pics friggin amazing I am going out on saturday to show the rats who's who with mine longest shot I have made was around 230 yards and I had trouble with the gun shop guys haggilin me about it so know we have proof the hornet rock's..

Varmicide, 200 plus yards is a good long shot with those 35gr v maxs andyour light charge of lil gun.the b. c. is so low that your very limited in range although it may be perfect for where you live.[ boy is this pill exsplosive though]For the truely longrange shots with the Hornet you have to load single shot with a n.b.t.,bc .210 and alot more powder. you will only have 90 to100 thousants of case holding on to your bullet and somewhere in the range of .020 jump to the rifling. With an 8'' drop tube my cases will hold 13.9gr lil gun.your gun may be totaly differant. No they wont fit into your magazine but they wil shoot far if you do your part. Good luck,Hornet nuts need to stick together. 7mmrhb /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts