I don't know about this RL17

goodgrouper

I ran some of this so called "wonder powder" in a 243 wssm and a dirty-06 today and can't see the wonderment yet. Yes, it did push 95 grain Berger VLD's at a touch over 3400 fps in the 243 wssm, but Varget got them up to 3300 with much less powder. The 168 VLD's in the '06 got to 2900 fps but shot better at 2800. N 160 is certainly slower burning but I still got 2800 out if it.

That being said, it was the most accurate powder in the dirty '06 and the deviations were all under 15 fps for the entire ladder. The 243 wssm liked RL17 but liked Varget and RL15 more. These are just two guns but when I add the results here to the 300 wsm experiment, the super speed seems ghostly. I think the ability to pack more of this stuff in to a case than other powders in the burn rate is more responsible to it's generated velocity gains than any "super saturated deterrent" or magical coating.

Just my 2 bits.

Good Grouper I am interested in the set ups you have been shooting. I am wondering if this powder is more dependant on barrel length than other powders. The spectacular 200+ fps results posted on the 6mmbr.com benchrest article were with long 30+ barreled rifles. The powder manufacturer claims progressive burn rate which may need a longer barrel to optimized results. If you are shooting shorter 24" length barrels did you notice higher muzzle blast with the 17. Would you post the details of your 06 loads, I plan on loading with it in my 06.

my regular ole 06 with a 22" barrel spits 168's out at 2950 using H414. these are TTSX bullets which can probably be pushed a little faster though.

Good Grouper I am interested in the set ups you have been shooting. I am wondering if this powder is more dependant on barrel length than other powders. The spectacular 200+ fps results posted on the 6mmbr.com benchrest article were with long 30+ barreled rifles. The powder manufacturer claims progressive burn rate which may need a longer barrel to optimized results. If you are shooting shorter 24" length barrels did you notice higher muzzle blast with the 17. Would you post the details of your 06 loads, I plan on loading with it in my 06.

The gun was a 24" Remington CDL. I did not notice any extra muzzle blast but I have pretty well trained myself not to notice things like that over the years.

I loaded from 56.5 to 58.5 grains and the bullets bottom was just barely past the bottom of the neck. Most loads had single digit standard deviations and the average group was just under 3/4" at 100 yards. One group went 3/8".

I'm curious about this powder with the 140 bullet wt in 7Rem mag, and the 130, 150 bullets in the plain jane 270 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.