I thought I know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Desert Fox

I thought I know there is to know about reloading and boy, was I wrong. I did a boboo yesterday in the form of 308 loaded with 168 grain Nosler Competition and 45 grain of BLC-2. The load was developed during winter when temperature was averaging 60 degrees. When fired at temperature of around hundred degree, the result was catasrophic. You can see from the picture below.
Picture.jpg

Picture001.jpg

Call Hogsdon and was informed that when using sphirical powder, the load that was develop during winter should never be used during summer. I told Hodgsdon that I know that but I'm 2 grain below max. It didn't even crossed my mind besides it never happened to me before and I had been reloading for over 20 years. Can anyone share some light on this.

If you have some loaded up still, pull them, weigh the charge and make sure its BLC2 and not H335. Well, they look the same, but could you have grabbed the wrong color can?

Biff, Your looking at a couple of case heads that had the primers blown out of them during fireing. Looks like there is considerable brass flow/expansion with those case heads.

Desert Fox, How difficult was extracting those cases?

Thank heavens it wasen't 120 degrees.

Sorry Coyboy, I was out of town on vacation for a week. Sorry about the picture, my daughter's camera that I'd been borrowing can't focus that close. Extraction was tight. The case head was overblown that I have a hard time removing the case from the bolt. The case head wedges itself around the bolt rim with the extractor claw holding the case. The primer was nowhere to be found. Talked to Hodgdon technical support and was told that any sphirical powder irregardless of brand has a tendency to have higher pressure when subjected to higher outdoor temperature. My load development was done during winter and I'm confident that it will still be good during summer since I'm still 2 grains below the listed maximum. Boy was I wrong. Hodgdon told me that it probably reach 70,000 psi. This was an eye opener for me. I'm using Federal Gold medal Brass, Federal Match primer, 45 grains of BLC-2 and 168 grain Nosler J4 Competition match bullet. COL 2.796

Sewhat89, I'm positive it was BLC-2. I do use H-335 for my 222 Remington Magnum and I only have two 1- pound container left. I have an 8lb keg of BLC-2 so there's no way I could be mistaken.

The information from Hodgdon is correct. The pressure in your handloads will jump in pressure quite a bit in higher temperature. However, I'll bet that you also have something else going on. I suspect that you might have seated your bullets out a bit closer to the rifling, or maybe you're using a different brand of brass with less case capacity. Also be sure to clean the "inside" of your case necks.

- Innovative

Thats not the original pic, Desert fox. Looks like your daughters going to the prom.

Yep
Going out tomarrow to get a 308 and some BLC-2 fer Momma :D

I use H414 a lot in the 243/55 grainers and never had a problem till this summer. Only thing I can think of is that it sat in a hot chamber too long as I cant get too much H414 in a winchester case :confused:
Gotta watch those ball powders when they get hot,BLC-2 and 748 being the worst culprets for me!!

Glensdogs%20093.jpg

Hot load

hodgon was right I use H 414 in a 7/08 and normal load velocity in the
winter is 3010 ft/sec during the summer it jumps to 3158 ft/sec.

So I have been testing there Extreme powders and find them to work
very well with only about a 10 to 15ft/sec increase in hot weather.

A lot of other powders have the same problems with temp.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts