Probably know the answer that I just don't want to hear....

The grip and pull has popped up a few times recently in things I've watched or read. I may have to get one. Kinetic pullers have always worked for me unless bullets were crimped. I'm wondering how the grip and pull will work as I've never liked the marks left on the bullets from a collet puller and end up using them as fouling shots. You have any experience with the grip and pull?

The grip and pull has popped up a few times recently in things I've watched or read. I may have to get one. Kinetic pullers have always worked for me unless bullets were crimped. I'm wondering how the grip and pull will work as I've never liked the marks left on the bullets from a collet puller and end up using them as fouling shots. You have any experience with the grip and pull?
I have a lot of experience with a grip and pull if bullets are seated up near the ogive it can slip and scratch the bullet some but if there's any bearing surface sticking out at all they come out very easily and do not damage the bullet at all and they are way faster than any other method not to mention less of a mess you don't have your bullet and powder all in the bottom of the kinetic puller to sort out

I have a lot of experience with a grip and pull if bullets are seated up near the ogive it can slip and scratch the bullet some but if there's any bearing surface sticking out at all they come out very easily and do not damage the bullet at all and they are way faster than any other method not to mention less of a mess you don't have your bullet and powder all in the bottom of the kinetic puller to sort out
Does it leave a visible ring around the projectile where it was gripped? If so have you shot them at distance to see if it effects BC? Some bullets I've pulled with collet dies left a visible mark and flew different down range as compared to virgin bullets. Similar to using Dave Tubb's nose ring cutter, the ring causes a change in BC

Last edited:
Does it leave a visible ring around the projectile where it was gripped? If so have you shot them at distance to see if it effects BC? Some bullets I've pulled with collet dies left a visible mark and flew different down range as compared to virgin bullets. Similar to using Dave Tubb's nose ring cutter, the ring causes a change in BC
As long as you can grip the bearing surface it doesn't damage the bullet at all

It also has a lot to do with how you use it too. Dip the handle in tool grip dip and it helps a lot with control, especially if your pulling a lot of bullets. Once you get the feeling down for the proper amount of grip, not too much not too little, you can pull bullets without any visible marks. If it slips in the grip, it looks much like the marks left from the neck when the bullet is pulled anyway. If you squeeze too tight, you will leave a ring.

Now there have been a couple times where no matter what I did, it left marks, but that was on some heavily crimped old military 30-06 ammo that was very, very cold welded. If I would have thought about it, I would have just seated the bullets .050 deeper before pulling them to pop the weld and probably made my life easier, but I wasn't overly concerned with saving the fmj bullets, I just squeezed the crap out of them and pulled ha ha. But with standard, .0015"-.003" neck tension and no cold welding, or popped cold welding, they work great once the operator is in the groove, and super fast.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.