Probably know the answer that I just don't want to hear....

338weatherby

So it's been well below zero for going on two weeks and I've had time on my hand. I picked up a Savage model 10PC 20" in 223. Up until now, I've really only ran bulk ball ammo in my AR's and never felt like rolling my own for them. Things have changed and now I'd like to make this new rifle into a little tack driver. I started cleaning my gun room and going through supplies and found some handloads I did back in '03. I have no idea where I got the load info from but I think I may have to pull the bullets. I've got 19 that were shot out of the 100 I loaded up. I don't recall if they were any good as I was running ball ammo to get an AR that I purchased to run proper. After the rifle was running, I tried the handloads and never used since. The loads are 55gr SP over 20gr of accurate 1680 with CCI 400's. Everything I've read says no-go as powder is WAY too fast. So, do I pull the remaining 81 bullets, all of which will most likely be pulled with pliers, or save and shoot? I'm leaning on saving and to give a try when weather warms up. I also don't want to waste primers shooting garbage loads. Seems like it's either pull and toss bullets or shoot and waste primers. Has anyone ran 1680 in their 223? And, I know I should have kept better records...

Do you have a kinetic bullet puller (hammer style)? That'd be the cheap & easy way to salvage the components.

I think you are wise to pull and salvage these components if you are not comfortable shooting them. It also gets you some primed brass in the process :)

I would avoid pulling with pliers, as you seem well aware that you'll destroy the bullet in the process, and more than likely squirrel up your necks as well.

Having a whiskey when I read this and pulled up Quickload on the computer. I'd shoot them based on this. Sierra 55gr SP, 20 gr. Accurate 1680, 2.260" COAL gives a predicted pressure of just under 43K PSI and SAAMI max is 55K. If you have more details I'll plug it in to Quickload for you. It's just a prediction but is definitely in the safe range

Attachments

• IMG_6707.JPG
    IMG_6707.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 89
Do you have a kinetic bullet puller (hammer style)? That'd be the cheap & easy way to salvage the components.

I think you are wise to pull and salvage these components if you are not comfortable shooting them. It also gets you some primed brass in the process :)

I would avoid pulling with pliers, as you seem well aware that you'll destroy the bullet in the process, and more than likely squirrel up your necks as well.
Tried the kinetic puller, no go. I think they are just too light. I've used it on heavy bullets in the past fine. I have a collet puller but none to fit .224

Having a whiskey when I read this and pulled up Quickload on the computer. I'd shoot them based on this. Sierra 55gr SP, 20 gr. Accurate 1680, 2.260" COAL gives a predicted pressure of just under 43K PSI and SAAMI max is 55K. If you have more details I'll plug it in to Quickload for you. It's just a prediction but is definitely in the safe range
Ha!, when I first read this I thought you were going to say "having a whiskey will do that" 🤣
COAL is 2.200". Looks like I can try them out and see. Just don't want to be wasting components!
Thanks

Tried the kinetic puller, no go. I think they are just too light. I've used it on heavy bullets in the past fine. I have a collet puller but none to fit .224
If you do decide to pull them try the kinetic puller again but set your seat die to bump them in another .005" to break any possible cold welding. If you decide to shoot them bumping them in .005" to break a cold weld would also be advisable. Just tweaked Quickload and at 2.200" it now says 44,203 PSI so still well under 55K.

Edit for grammar and add updated Quick Load predicted pressure

If you do decide to pull them try the kinetic puller again but set your seat die to bump them in another .005" to break and possible cold welding. If you decide to shoot them bumping them in .005" to break a cold weld would also be advisable. Just tweaked Quickload and at 2.200" it now says 44,203 PSI so still well under 55K.
Thanks for that advice. I never thought of that, especially if I decide to keep and shoot.

In these times, probably well worth it to get a collet to fit and save your components, even if you have to dump the unknown powder, IMHO
I know the powder and the load. Just not sure where I got the recipe from. From what I've read, 1680 is not advisable to use in .223. My thoughts too regarding saving components.

If you have a Lee shell holder for the 223, you can put it into the kinetic hammer instead of using the Collett with the rubber band around it.

Thanks for that advice. I never thought of that, especially if I decide to keep and shoot.
Yeah hope it helps you make up your mind. I've done this with quite a few old reloads I've had sitting around, lighter weight bullets are harder to pull due to their reduced mass but a little bump in and they seem to be easier if they had been sitting for a while due to cold welding.

Yeah hope it helps you make up your mind. I've done this with quite a few old reloads I've had sitting around, lighter weight bullets are harder to pull due to their reduced mass but a little bump in and they seem to be easier if they had been sitting for a while due to cold welding.
I just went through and bumped them all .005". I'd say every 3-4 one made an audible "pop". Some were definitely stuck so to speak.

Get a good collet bullet puller, nudge the bullets a tiny bit deeper to break any cold weld then pull them out. I found kinetic hammer type bullet pullers almost useless with light bullets like 40-55 grains in a .224 caliber. The light weight aluminum, two part, band together, shell holders in the kinetic hammer type bullet pullers are used to reduce the amount of shock/impact that might set off a live primer.

From advisory on CCI primer box:

"Primers may explode if subjected to impact, electric shock or intense heat"

Increasing the weight of the impact/hammer type puller by replacing the light weight aluminum shell holder with a much heaver steel shell holder, designed for cartridge/brass forming using presses & dies, would increase the impact force of the skimpy plastic hammer and its contents including the heavy steel shell holder & live primer.

Last edited:

This is my favorite way to pull bullets. Simple and covers a wide range.

Or you could just shoot them. Maybe shoot a few for groups and see how they do, if they aren't up to snuff, pull em.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.