Powder? Why is there none?

As I posted in another thread, it isn't totally that cut and dried. I personally haven't bought a single .22/powder/primer in over a year. Since well before the Covid pandemic hit. I got "caught short" in the Obama shortage so once that was over, I bought stuff when I saw it for a good price. So now I have more .22's, powder/primers/reloading components than I really need right at this second. I would use it all in ten years... but suddenly people are willing to pay crazy prices for it. So I'm not a hoarder or a scalper... but I'm not totally stupid either... I'm not going to sell the things I bought when they were easy to get for those same prices now to people who didn't "see ahead" and stock up. But if I actually dare to sell things for these crazy prices, then I'm just somehow the bad guy in the whole thing.

Result is... it's easier to just sit back and keep what you have rather than dealing with all the negative energy!
I any not that smart I just though we would have 4 more years of trump i under Estimate how low the Democrat would go

My one and only LGS that has anything in stock with any regularity got deceived and screwed in a bulk bullet purchase they made and are stuck with large amounts of coated bullets so they are mandating you buy numbers of bullets equal to primers.

Several months ago was in there buying some powder and a second Lee 4HCTP from him and watched as some guy from a neighboring state just non stop trying to get them to sell him primers without him buying any bullets. Literally his but-I-don't-wanna-buy-any-bullets-waaa-waaa went on for FOREVER until the owner asked me how long have I been buying guns and reloading supplies from first his dad and now him, I said whoa gosh since mid 1990's at LEAST he then told the guy "Look, if I'm not doing it for this guy who's been shopping here for decades I certainly can not for you". He just turned around and left.
The owner said seeing as I was spending well over $300 he was willing to cut me a more than fair deal on 500 plated bullets and still let me buy 500 primers.

Adding I feel ever since Comrade Clinton was in office you can only guilty of hording if buy in mass quantities with the intent on reselling at greatly inflated prices, otherwise there is no such thing as hording of ammo or reloading components. I have absolutely no intentions at all whatsoever to resell any of my reserves.

Last edited:
I can only say... I wish I had some kind of "LGS" that was like that. I can't think of one within 50 miles of me that would act like that.

I just saw on Cheaper Than Dirt ( www.cheaperthandirt.com/9mm-luger-parabellum/ammunition/handgun-ammo/?brand=9mm/Luger/Parabellum ) a box (50 rounds) of 9mm Luger selling for $129, that's price gouging at its finest. I've personally seen one company that was not selling its brass to any of the larger distributing companies, all the large distributors had "Out of stock, no back orders", but if you went to that brass company's site it was available, but.....only in lots of 500. Then there's some of the conspiracy theories out there. With all the false news and BS out there on the media, I don't even know what is true and what is not. I've read where the multi-billionaires have bought out the chemical/powder companies, copper and brass mines so there is not raw materials to be had to make ammo. Sort of like when Obama put the lead companies out of business by turning the EPA on the factories and making it impossible for the factories to manufacture lead due to the restrictions placed on the plants. And.....perhaps supply and demand, I'm saying well maybe but **** no powder, no rifle primers or even rifle brass???????? I paid what I thought was extortionist prices before things got really bad as they are now. I am comfortable enough for hunting and for some per-season practice, however what I have will not last forever. I'd say for a lifetime, but I'm 74 and I'm not going to push that one🤣🤣!!! I have an idea that the shortages are a combination of hoarding, supply and demand and companies who are gouging the shooting public. One thing I do know when/if this shortage BS ever ends I will not forget the companies who did do the gouging.
I think the only way to stop price gouging is all stop doing Business with them but it won't work if all of us do it Maybe if we don't shoot as often as we would like it might help

Well some of the most wanted powder has shown up, or what I have been after for over a year now. Are now on the shelves, but the prices are away out of line. Brass seem to be staying around now too, not all. Primers are or seem to be in very short supply at the same time. Primers with increases should be about $40 per 1000, not $100+ if you can find them.
I was in a Sportsmenware house the other day. That was a waste of time for powder and primers. If you wanted a M-4 there was plenty of them. Shotgun there was a poor selection or supply. I have been looking for BPS, and there doesn't seem much out there presently and hasn't been.
O'well I will every morning surf the net for the items I am looking for. GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY ELSE TOO!

There is no powder on the shelf because the supply has not changed and the demand is through the roof.
Look on the net for powders. Primers are a different story. There more powder now than 6 months ago. H4350 and H4831 haven't come off the net for sale, and several suppliers has those powders. Price is higher than hell but it's there. I am seeing from 70 to over 100 different types of powder on the net. I am not a double based powder user. I have found them to be to temperature sensitivite for the temps I hunt in.

As the heading says, why is there no powder? I regularly shop 3 good sized gun shops that are not Box stores, the owners tell me they have thousands and thousands of dollars of powder on order from their regular wholesalers and have virtually not seen any powder in over a year!
This can't just be a hoarding issue, is someone in this government halting shipments as much of it is manufactured off shore? Friends in Europe say they have powder.
Any insight???
I just bought 3 more lbs of H1000 from the Hodgdon/IMR site. It's out there but you gotta jump on it when it shows up.

Recent Posts