Powder shortage and 338 RUM

merbeau

The temperatures are starting to cool off in Texas and my attention is starting to focus on building a load for my 338 RUM configured in a Browning A Bolt with BOSS system.

I am planning on starting with Lapua Scenar 250 grain bullets using Nosler brass and Winchester large rifle magnum primers. I am looking for accuracy more than velocity.

Problem is powder. I have several pounds of IMR 4831 and 4350 in my reloading room. According to the Hodgdon web site they list both powders for this particular cartridge. I have read where Retumbo, H1000 and IMR 7828 have been used for producing accurate loads, however, trying to find these powders has not been successful. I have read in other forums people claiming 4831 and 4350 are to fast for the RUM, however, if that is the case why publish a recipe for it?

Of course Retumbo, H1000 and IMR 7828 use copious amounts of powder which obviously contribute to less barrel life.

Has anyone had experience in using IMR 4831 or 4350 in the RUM?

Typically I try to find a powder that give the best group with the BOSS set in its optimal setting and then fine tune the setting to obtain the best group.

Thanks

Robert

H 1000 works very good in the 338 RUM, Also Re33.

H 4831 is a little fast and you may not get the velocity you want.

Retumbo is also a good powder for the RUM.

J E CUSTOM

+1 My 338 rum loves 7828. However, rl 33 would be the powder I would go with if I were starting over. I would stay away from 4831 I personally think it's too fast. My rum's load charge is 86 and has produced 2800 fps. I think that is a good medium in the range. Always remember, you don't have to fill the case full to have a accurate load. You can always find something very accurate in the medium power nodes that won't burn out your barrel quickly.

Good luck Robert

Thank you to all that replied.

To be honest I use Alliant powders for my skeet shooting and forgot all about the RL series for rifles. There was some RL33 in the supply store where I usually shop. Hope it is still on the shelf.

I have a 243 Winchester that I use 4831 and 4350 in and was pleasantly surprised at its application for the 338, although it does look like the velocities are lower than for powders like H1000 and Retumbo.

Thanks again for the help.

Robert

I have shot and loaded for many magnums like many on here. For the fact that Retumbo and H1000 s non-existent at this time and IMR 7828 can be found, that would be my choice. Second possibility would be RL33. I only say this for I have never tried RL33, one of my friends has in his .300RUM and he s very happy.

DGD6mm

Went to the supply store today and unfortunately the RL33 that was available yesterday sold, however, they did have some RL25 which I purchased. I also found some Retumbo and Win 780 that I also purchased. At least I have something to start with.

Thanks

Robert

merbeau, I know I said non-exsistent, but I did see were it had been posted at a couple of companies and of course it went fast. I bought a 8lb jug of Retumbo about 3 years ago and haven't touched it yet. The Retumbo with the 250 LS may be a compressed load to hit the barrel timing, at least that is what it shows on QL with normal settings out of a 26" barrel. The 780 and the RL25 look pretty good, RL25 is somewhat aggressive on throats. I have a new to me .284 Shehane that I am going to run IMR 7828SSC in, I was told it works good in this rifle. I'd like to try some of that RL33 in my .300 RUM. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Don Dunlap

merbeau, I know I said non-exsistent, but I did see were it had been posted at a couple of companies and of course it went fast. I bought a 8lb jug of Retumbo about 3 years ago and haven't touched it yet. The Retumbo with the 250 LS may be a compressed load to hit the barrel timing, at least that is what it shows on QL with normal settings out of a 26" barrel. The 780 and the RL25 look pretty good, RL25 is somewhat aggressive on throats. I have a new to me .284 Shehane that I am going to run IMR 7828SSC in, I was told it works good in this rifle. I'd like to try some of that RL33 in my .300 RUM. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Don Dunlap[/QUOTE

Yes, I ran several powders through the barrel life formula available on Accurate Shooter and there is quite a bit of difference in predicted barrel life. The leading factor is the heat index of the powder and for Retumbo it is pretty high while something like IMR 4831 is fairly low. I got a range from 1254 rounds to 2000 depending on the powder and charge. Obviously there are other factors but this provided a good start. I am wanting to find a load somewhere around 2850 that works. i am hoping that the load for Retumbo that I use will not be compressed.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.