2024 Powder Shortage

All made from relatively the same ingredients, just different formulae and processes. Because they are done in a batch process, and there are only so many batch lines, the demand for specific powders and only so much equipment capacity creates a natural choke point.
Nevermind the fact that there are only so many places it's able to be manufactured.

Playing around with guncotton and nitroglycerin and all the other toxic solvents, treatments, and additives is not something governments will let go on just anywhere.

I have been reloading for four decades and been through a few "shortages/price increases". Without question I could combine all the previous ones, and the latest one exceeds them all by 110X. I went in fairly well stocked +20k primers, and probably 150lb of powder. For me I was easily 10x under prepared for this. If we went to the same supply level we had in November 2019 today, the stores will be sold out for another 10-15yrs just to get "HOARDERS" like me and the new speculators up to a minimum level.
This man speaks the truth right here.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

If anyone saw what was happening for 15 years they would have stocked up on powders (years ago) and now have enough to shoot for years to come.
Not everyone was reloading back then. It crossed my mind back then. But at the time I didn't own a home, rented. I did not want the hassle of moving all the reloading equipment around. For I moved frequently & often. And when you could buy the ammo at cheap prices. Why reload for as much shooting as I was doing at the time. Hardly a few boxes a year.
Ukraine conflict consumed all the Soviet era artillery shells, ammo, etc. Ukraine switched to Western equipment/ammo. Consumed all the available 155 ammo. Israel-Hamas consuming shells/ammo.

Peace dividend after collapse of Soviet Union = closed ammo/powder/etc. plants.

Massive push for resupplying the US/NATO ammunition dumps.
Just curious but if Israel needs our ammo. Why do they send theirs to the US for sale ? I am pretty sure Ukraine is using nothing compared to the 20 years in the Middle East conflict. Sorry I am not buying it, any of it. Ukraine should also be getting ammo from their European suppliers. Logistically speaking it would only make sense. lol

Last edited:
I have to point out something you are all missing.
Powders that military contracts use are NOT canister powders we buy, BUT, the manufacture of bulk powder for military contracts is eating into the production of canister powder because military contracts take precedent.
The thing I don't get is the lack of primers, we used to make Winchester primers here, but we no longer do, which surprised me, so WHO IS making them?

Cheers.
I purchased some new Win primers. The box says made in the USA. Edit: They sold for $69.00 for 1,000. I wish I had bought more. Last time I went there. They had no more. I didn't want to be that guy. Guess what next time I will be that guy. lol

Attachments

• IMG_20231217_122327717.jpg
    IMG_20231217_122327717.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The ammo companies aren't in a shortage for powder. They are the ones creating the shortage. Just look on an ammo search engine for any of the common calibers, especially the ones the military uses, and tell me you can't find 223 or 9mm or 308 ammo. If there was such a shortage for military ammo, you wouldn't be able to buy commercial ammo in those calibers. There are tons of it out there.

I purchased some new Win primers. The box says made in the USA.
Winchester has also taken over the primer production at Lake City in MO. That part is under government contract. They have improved production and safety standards. But we got sidetracked from the upcoming speculation on powder shortages. It's pretty hard to discuss one component without the others coming up. But even harder to load cartridges with any one component missing. I know that there is no better way to get product off the shelf and increase price than announce and upcoming shortage.
In my line of work, we had a shortage of parts, followed by a 100 to 200 percent increase in prices. All I can do is raise prices and roll with the punches.

Amen brother! With over 200 line items in my business budgets, I can't think of a thing, other than fuel, that has declined the past 2-3 years. I tried to keep costs down and not hit our customers with large increases, but it just wasn't possible

I am curious. Do you own or run a business of any appreciable size? My business uses hundreds of products to operate and maintain the facility and grounds, but it isn't just material products that have gone up or are in short supply, it is everything that is required to operate my business. Electric, nat gas, fuels, taxes, 10 insurances, wages, employee benefits, state and federal mandates, license fees, etc, etc,etc. "Total Labor" costs are about 67% of my overall monthly expenses, and over the past 3 years, we saw labor costs increase 40-50%.

As I stated earlier, my budgets have over 200 line items that cover hundreds of items, so with nearly all those having increases, some huge, there is no way the business could nor can survive without large increases passed to the customer. I.e. Inflation
Yes I have 2 small businesses between my wife and I, I am also a full time union electrical lineman.

But what I am saying to you is the that some of the price raises you are seeing are not because of inflation but more of some greedy people raising prices because they can. Which forces other to raise prices because they NEED too, this is causing a fake inflation crisis. If a lot of these larger companies were not greedy you wouldn't be seeing so much of a price hike on the things you need to buy to operate your business.

I wish I knew who was responsible for all you listed. lol
Look to your left. Look to your right. Then realize everyone you just saw is responsible. Look in the mirror some too... and fix whatever you see wrong. Look at the way people talk in this forum. You honestly think they magically start thinking/acting with reason and logic when they get up and walk away from the keyboard?

Yes I have 2 small businesses between my wife and I, I am also a full time union electrical lineman.

So have your costs gone up for those two businesses? If you can spend all your time on a full time job... they must not be much of businesses. Supplemental income businesses, or "side hustles" obviously don't live in the same rule set as real businesses where peoples entire ability to exist is on the line.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

They are out there. Just got to dig around. The only company on this list I vouch for is Grafs.

Grafs has 1lb'ers in stock.

Mile High is showing they have 8lb'ers.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Anyone know anything about this Lohman company???

Anyone know anything about this Lohman company???
personally after visiting the website. Not for me. Prices are high. And what is with this ? *OEM packaging may be substituted in place of retail packaging due to scarcity of product.*
Tap on the contact us link & se what happens. Look for their location.

IMO, powder itself is made of chemicals such as nitric acid and glycerin (basically). If all of these precursors are being consumed for war materials, it doesn't matter what powder you like, most of the powders will be in short supply due to raw material being redirected. Same with primer chemicals. We're last in line no matter what. I agree it's ripe for greed no matter what is going on out there. I also think the world would like to disarm a gun friendly country. That is easy to do by just controlling the flow.