Ponsness/Warren Cal-die

pgothro

Does anyone have any experience with this bullet seater from Ponsness/Warren, my gunsmith showed it to me and it seems pretty interesting with a die body and bullet caliber seater inserts.

You can see the die on their website. They are a windowed seating die similar to the original Vicker's seating die. RCBS uses the same design for their Competition series and their Gold Medal series seater dies (rifle calibers only), but they add a micrometer top to it. They also sell the internal pieces separately, so you can have one die body and sleeves/plugs for different bullet calibers.

These designs engage only the case neck for aligning the bullet, case and plug prior to inserting the bullet. The Forster Benchrest and Redding Competition (rifle) series have full length sleeves that engage on the whole cartridge body, and more reliably align the components.

Hornady also uses a similar design, just without the window. Like the RCBS and P/W, the Hornady sleeve also only engages the case neck. Hornady is the only manufacturer I know of that uses this design on handgun seating dies.

The utility of a single die body with multiple seating stems and sleeves seems doubtful to me. You would have to completely re-adjust the die every time you change calibers.

Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts