LEE fl RESIZING DIE .308 CAL VERY TIGHT

petasucks

I recently bought a set of lee pace setter dies for my 742 rem .308 the FL resizer die is very hard to cycle through has anyone else had this problem, im resizing once fired WW brass and fed GMM Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

If factory brass chambers properly, then you likely need to replace the dies. Lee will replace them for you most likely.

Your chamber could be on the upper end of the saami spec and since your setting it up to size as much as possible from the get go, it could very well be "tight"

If this is the case you have a few options

Get a bump gauge and measure how much your resizing - only size as much as needed
Size your shells in two stages
Return the dies and hope someone sends you larger ones - not likely

742 Remingtons are notorious for having generous chambers in my experience. A word of caution. Get everything worked out with gauges etc. as to proper case dimension BEFORE you try cramming one in the rifle. If you break something on that 742 it becomes a wall hanger because there are NO replacement parts available from Remington or any parts places I could find. Keep the chamber and gas system clean or it will rust in no time in humid conditions.

You might try screwing the die down a bit more so that you are putting pressure on the shell holder at the top of the stroke instead of it 'just touching.' Make sure there is zero space between the die and the shell holder at the top of the stroke. You want to use every possible square inch of surface area of that die, especially with a 742, which has weak camming ability during the loading cycle. Some folks even use small base dies for these rifles, altho' I've never had to.

If that doesn't work, I might try grinding the top of the shell holder a bit, if you feel comfortable doing that.

they came out of the rifle, these are brand new, dies once fired brass from my remington 742.i expected some resistance but not this much.thanks for all the advice.im gonna investgate father and will tell what i find thanks again-John

if the dies are new; and you are experiencing trouble getting the press to push the case into the die, you may want to clean up the fl die inside and out using patches and hoppes #9 or brake cleaner. removing all of the machine shop crud that comes on most new dies. Then a light coat of gun oil to protect them. Usually after that; well lubed cases slide thru without a hitch.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.