Poll/Discussion: Hunting with a Muzzle Brake

Hunt with a Muzzle Brake

• Yes

Votes: 126 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 43 25.6%

• Total voters

Kmccord

I agree, it is pretty crazy. I think it’s partially because so many hunts up here require non residents to use guides? Maybe our department of fish and game
a) wants clients to hear a bear coming or,
B) be able to hear their guide yelling there’s a bear coming 🤣

I honestly have no idea but I and my hunting buddies have all switched over to suppressors, especially when hunting with our kids.
I had a feeling it had to do with a Bear, however I don't wear mine full time in the field only when getting ready to shoot. If they would take away the stupid ATF License to purchase a suppressor, more and more people could go that route instead of using a brake.

Treeslug

About 40 years or so ago, I had my 7mm Rem. mag. Magnaported (however you spell it). The 7 mag. kicks a wee bit more than my braked 378 Wby, but it stays on target very well and the noise is not noticeably louder than it was before I had it Magnaported. On the lower recoil rifles, I still like Magnaporting, but I am nearly deaf from being young and dumb, so I always try to shoot with ear protection.

freddiej

most all my hunting rifles are muzzle broke. from my 22-250 to my 375 H&H. I have very few rifles that shoot magnum class cases without muzzle brakes. only one 300 W/M is without a brake, that is about it.

Treeslug

I had a feeling it had to do with a Bear, however I don't wear mine full time in the field only when getting ready to shoot. If they would take away the stupid ATF License to purchase a suppressor, more and more people could go that route instead of using a brake.
The ATF has no business making rules and regulations for the masses. The ATF should stick to finding criminals instead of making ordinary citizens into criminals.

warboar21

None of my rifles currently have brakes on them. I don't own a single rifle that has a threaded barrel. I don't care for muzzle brakes personally on hunting rifles since I may or may not have the chance to put on my hearing protection. My friend had a Winchester 70 in 243 Win with the Boss system. That was about the worst pain i've put my ears through when he shot a coyote and I didn't have hearing protection in.
I lost a good portion of my hearing in my right ear when I was a kid. The Army robbed me of the rest and a fair amount in my left ear. Don't always have time to put in hearing protection with inbound or outbound for that matter.

Slick8

LRH Team Member
My 30 nosler is braked and I always use hearing protection even when hunting.

Everything else is suppressed except for my 45-70.

The suppressor provides a little recoil reduction but not like a good brake.

Willybuck

I now always wear my Howard Leight Impact Sport ear muffs when hunting or shooting. They amplify the sound while I am hunting but cut out any loud sounds. A real blessing. I hope to save what hearing I have left after years of working in various noisy locations.

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.