Hunt w/ Muzzle Brake?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by mmh, May 16, 2018.

1. mmh

mmh Well-Known Member

How many of you guys hunt w/ a muzzle brake on a 300WM? I don't want to practice w/o one on but would also not want to take it off for hunting if my practice has been with it on.

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I do. Am a recoil sissy! I keep earplugs around my neck. Worst case if you get a plug in your left ear as a right handed shooter it works very well. You can then still have easy communication with your spotter.

Steve

Ingwe and Sevy like this.
  3. the hunter

the hunter Well-Known Member

I do not.

4. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

I use either a brake or can. But it is not a .300. I use electronic hearing protection all the time.

5. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

Always. On every rifle except my .223AR and .22LRs. Even my 15# 6.5SLR has a brake. So will my 6CM I am building. I like to see my own hits (or misses) as often as possible.

Ingwe likes this.
  6. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

I hunt with mine on. I am not recoil sensitive but all my hunting rifles has muzzle device on them - muzzle brake or suppressor except for my 6.5 x55 and .30-30.

7. jpfrog

jpfrog Well-Known Member

What about that fancy $20 Creedmoor you just got-will it get a brake, too?? :p

therifleman556 likes this.
  8. jpfrog

jpfrog Well-Known Member

I have never hunted with a brake but after seeing the benefits of them on my .308 range gun I will probably put one on all of my newer rifles regardless of intended use and will also use a suppressor whenever possible. Exception would be my first .22lr- a bolt action Marlin model 25 that I’ll be passing on to my oldest son now that he’s just turned 5. Also, my .270win deer rifle. It’s a 1971 model 700 that I’ve had the original wood stock recheckered and have bedded the action, replaced the barrel, etc and just looks too traditional and pretty for a brake.

9. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

L:cool:L! I have an extra MB and I can use my suppressor too. :D

10. eklarsen

eklarsen Well-Known Member

Yep always.

11. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

I have them on many of my rifles and use ear protection with or without a brake.

Besides the reduction in recoil under bench/range conditions, It is also beneficial if you are out of position when hunting. Many times you cant get the proper shoulder fit when shooting with the other hand and recoil management helps if the stock doesn't fit because of the position.

With less recoil, the chances of seeing the hit also greatly increase and will allow follow up shots if needed.

J E CUSTOM

12. dmj

dmj Well-Known Member

Practice with a brake and hunt with a brake on my 300wm and all other calibers that I use for big game hunting. Always carry ear plugs and use them although have been caught in situations where I didn't have time.

13. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

30 Nosler and down - No brake
    338 RUM and up - use brake

14. livetohunt

livetohunt Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

I have one on all my hunting rifles. With longer shots you can get back on target faster. It makes shooting my .300 a lot better. I recommend not using a radial brake in the field. The first shot I took with one from the prone position in an old burn area left me and my spotter blind for about 3 seconds until the wind cleared all the dust and debris away.

RockyMtnMT and martinakl like this.