Please vote-338 Lapua platform

Which 338 Lapua platform?

• Total voters

cwinner

Ok guys, I'm stepping up to the big leagues......decided to purchase a .338 Lapua and have narrowed it down to either the Sako TRG-42 or a Wby MkV Accumark ( I have a McMIllan A-5 sotck for this action).

Rifle to be used more for extended range recreational target shooting with hunting slightly secondary. ( I'm building a 300WM to be my primary hunting rifle).........please vote which way you would go.

Thanks in advance!!

I dont know if you missed it but there is alot of savage fans out here including myself . Thats what I went with 110H-S precision in 338 Lapua. lightbulb

I have a Mark V in a 340 wby and is a nice rifle.A friend has the trg.It is as close to custom as you get.Ajustable stock,detach mag,he likes the fully adj.trigger better than his jewell.I have seen his rifle shoot one hole at 200.The Savage is not in its league.The Trg in the 338 La is used in MLE all over the world.One is high on my wish list for a truck type practice rig.

Well, I better post up here. I voted Wby because I would love to test one of these rifles. My Mark V in .338 LM has been a very good rifle. I have never seen a factory 338 LM from Wby but I have seen a TRG shoot. It was a one hole rifle at 100 yards shooting consistant .4 moa groups with box ammo. So you sure can't ask for more than that. But still, I sure would like to try out the Weatherby.

Jeff

Thanks for the votes all, keep them coming......here is the problem.

I have been saving my "lunch" money for the past year to put towards a TRG-42, but last week I saw a factory Mk V in my local sportings good store.....I currently have an accumark in .30-378 and the rifle is a real shooter with most loads and I'm extremly happy with it.....I have a McMillan A-5 stock on it with a Near 20MOA base & Timney trigger and a +1 extended internal mag floorplate.

This got me to thinking that I could pick up the MkV in 338 Lapua and bed it into my existing stock, order another trigger & base and be good to go.

I did handle a TRG-42 a year or so ago and all my research echos what some of you have said about it's accuracy and the like, but I have never shot one personally.

Needless to say it got me to re-thinking my origional plans, thats why I posted this poll so keep your responses coming.....hopefully somone will buy the one local and I can get back on track!!

Here is a pic of the factory Wby, the barrel is blued with a factory brake.....

Attachments

• Wby338LM.jpg
    Wby338LM.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 125
I voted Sako for what I feel your resale or trade value would be a few years down the road. One usually does not feel they will get rid of their dream rifle but I have had a few now:)

Thanks for the votes all, keep them coming......here is the problem.

I have been saving my "lunch" money for the past year to put towards a TRG-42, but last week I saw a factory Mk V in my local sportings good store.....I currently have an accumark in .30-378 and the rifle is a real shooter with most loads and I'm extremly happy with it.....I have a McMillan A-5 stock on it with a Near 20MOA base & Timney trigger and a +1 extended internal mag floorplate.

This got me to thinking that I could pick up the MkV in 338 Lapua and bed it into my existing stock, order another trigger & base and be good to go.

I did handle a TRG-42 a year or so ago and all my research echos what some of you have said about it's accuracy and the like, but I have never shot one personally.

Needless to say it got me to re-thinking my origional plans, thats why I posted this poll so keep your responses coming.....hopefully somone will buy the one local and I can get back on track!!

Here is a pic of the factory Wby, the barrel is blued with a factory brake.....
If you go with the Weatherby spend the extra bucks and get the Accumark. Accuracy is good with pretty much all of the Wby's but the Accumark's are worth the extra $.

I have a TRG-42 and love it! But there are some down sides, it is front heavy, and the accessories are pricy, extra magazines are $200+, the Sako TRG bipod $450+. I can tell you that the bipod is money well spent. The way it locks into the aluminum chassis makes it integral to the shooting system. Also you have about 15-22 degrees of total cant, once you have the gun leveled, slightly load forward into the gun and it locks into place, and it will hold in place with the large spade feet. The action is incredibly smooth; it rivals those coming out of custom shops. The adjustable trigger shoe is a nice feature if that is your fancy; I have not felt the need to play with that. I do enjoy the factory adjustable trigger that I have set at 2.5lbs and break as clean as a whistle. Finally the placement of the safety just forward of the trigger inside of the trigger guard is ergonomically perfect, IMO.

Side note I do run mine with the Sako break, it takes out alot of the punch!

two totally diffrent rifles. One is a hunting rifle, meant for carry and good for any shooting position (the Wby). The Other for precision marksmanship from a prone position or bench (SAKO). I feel that both rifles are extremely nice, the Sako probably taking the cake though. I couldnt, however, see myself taking the TRG 42 on any kind of serious backpacking hunt.

It would depend on the bullet you plan on shooting. The TRG should allow for slightly longer OAL because it was designed to shoot 250gr SMK's or the like. My experience with production guns is that they are made to shoot production ammo (shorter OAL length). If you plan on a 3.6ish OAL you might have to single load in a WBY Accumark. Both are fine rifles in my humble opinion.

Weatherby does make a fully adjustable stock,DBM,braked accumark.Called trr,tactical response rifle,that lookes alot like a TRG,IN 338 LA

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.