Pet Deer??

A buddy raised a doe fawn that someone picked up in the woods. He lives in a rural area and "Twinkles" comes to visit often. She is 4 now. He put an orange dog collar on her and so far she's still around. He's killed several bucks on his property hanging around during the rut.

My wife and I rented a small house ioutside of Libby, Mt for a bit. There was a whitetail doe that was a very friendly young lady. Before hunting season one of the nearby residents threw a bunch of red paint on her so people would not shoot her. We named her Reba b/c of her red hair. She would come and eat out of your hand if we had stale bread or the like. Pretty neat really. We got a kick out of it.

Do wild cats count, like as in strays, not bobcat or mountain lion type, I'd like to see those types come in and wipe out the others, I think
No. No cats. We do have a family of grey fox, male, female and 2 little ones. They eat the dog food, but that's okay we don't have a dog. 😉

Last edited:
Epsom Salts > magnesium sulfate - tomatoes love it, makes them juicy & flavorful. Best to put a 1/4 inch layer on bottom of planting hole then cover with 1 inch of dirt then backfill. I also mix it with Miracle Grow.

Baiting? my entire property is bait for all sorts of efforts including property taxation:confused:

I don't own fence & neighbor who owns fence has a dog - no gate.

On previous location, raccoons visited every night.

This was Post was from a few years ago. The baby grew into a Buck and eft, but the mom is still coming around. She has a stiff left back leg. We can distinguish the deer because they have been coming here several times a week for years.

My in-laws had a neighbor that rescued a fawn a few years ago. It was never pinned up and allowed to roam the neighborhood. It stayed close by for a couple of years and would come up and allow people to pet it. It was pretty cool but haven't seen her in a year or so.

Buckworth revisited.

IMG_1994 (1).JPG then

IMG_2005.JPG 3 -4 feet away from daytime resting area while waiting for mom to return.

IMG_2008.JPG

Success - jumped 4 foot fence & was rewarded by his mom.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 28
Before the State of Texas made us turn our deer out we branded them. Just imagine the hunter who shot them? I used to play with the bucks, does and fawns. The bucks never bothered me, but the does were more aggressive when with babies. 1 year 1 of the does had twins. This was the early 70's ('71-'73 I think).

We have several does and their offspring hanging around for 15 years now. They come right up to the garage door and back deck. Samson and the deer even did "Nose to Nose". We also always had a group of Bucks hanging out in the back yard 100 yd range and food plot.
I went out to the mailbox yesterday morning and a young buck (4-6") spikes we named Hetcher was laying dead hit by a vehicle. Roads with vehicles driving 60+ MPH and deer crossings just don't work.

Most people don't believe my deer story. My wife and I were packing back into a wilderness area. We were going about 20 miles. Going to go in about 10 miles and stay a couple days. Then go the rest of the way and stay a couple days. At our first camp site we set up camp. The next morning I was up early and was making coffee and hobbling the horses. There was a doe hanging around so finally I decided I wanted to see how close I could get. She let me get right up to her. Lick my hand and would let me scratch her. Well she went on her way and when my wife got up I was telling her my story. She didn't believe me. Well that evening we were setting outside the tent watching the horses. And guess who showed up. I got up and walked up to her. Again she let my scratch her. She would let my wife fairly close but didn't want her to touch her. But my wife at least had to believe me.