The difficult decision of putting a pet down...

Doublezranch

Many of us go through life with our pets. Some help us through rough times, some help us learn patience, some even get us from point A to point B. No matter what the situation, our pets love us unconditionally.
The Z's have finally made the decision to put a very old friend to rest. A friend that has seen them grow up and and have consoled many tears. Kashia is a mid 30 year old Arabian mare who's stubbornness is her best quality has finally gotten tired. She has been losing weight all summer and is deathly skinny and will not survive the winter. Even though she can still get around, she has lost her spirit. Zaylea just came in from spending time with her. She opened the door and said, "Daddy, it's time". As I sit here with tears rolling down my face I have decided to give my family a week to say their goodbyes in their own special way. She can't be ridden but there so many places the Z's and my wife have spent time with her figuring out life. During the week I'll walk around to see where the perfect place would be to lay her to rest and dig the hole. When everyone is at school, I'll come home from work early, spend my time with her, and then lay her to rest. Kashia has spent over 21 years of her life with us. We have built our stable around her. She will be missed.

Jayson

They become a part of the family. Children grow up with them..... It can be difficult to say goodbye, but it becomes necessary. All we can do is make it as painless as possible. My condolences.
Bruce

I don't know what to say except I feel for you and your family from the bottom of my heart. Best wishes and God Bless

If she's really in that bad of shape I don't know how you could have let her agonize this long...
Not that i don't feel for a long term part of the family...but the responsibility lies within ones values and heart....to let her agonize is as horrible as saying i just can't do it....
The life she has lived with you and yours is undoubtly one of mutual respect for having been cared for, for so long...the values of life she has taught you and yours and comforted those tears of sadness away....
If it needs to be done...get it done...share memories after...just be happy you know she no longer agonizes from age and pains....

I appreciate your opinion. This horse was active and being ridden this summer. Even though she was slowly losing weight she still loved the rides and the trips. I certainly don't expect you to understand the situation being the fact I cannot lay out 21 years in a thread and more importantly the last 6 months. I do however agree with you to recognize the time where an animal has become to agonize and do our do diligence to respect. That time is now.

Jayson

I have never been a horse owner...but i have had to put some down for people....
We talk on here about not letting an animal agonize after being shot for sport or food...but so many people have the problem of putting down "part of the family"....dont get me wrong..thst horse knows every one of you...
As would someone pet dog.......i have put down more pet dogs because people forget that part of being an owner....not saying you have...you obviously cherish everything that horse bas given back to you and your family...and you are going to do her right.......sir..great respect for you...

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.