5 Cats Euthanized Over 1 Pet

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107796

I just saw a news article about 5 mountain lions being put down in the Glenwood Springs Co, over the loss of one pet. The critter cam shown in the article was near the house that was clearly in the forest area, outside of the city. My opinion is, if you live in or near the forest, either live with what is there or get out. If I looked around and saw something else besides humans and domesticated animals, I might have a different opinion. If I saw humans do the same to nuisance humans, instead of house them and feed them for life, I might have a different opinion. The forest service is just putting themselves out of business, when they blindly follow a "every human life, and what they own, is sacred" senselessness. My feelings were reinforced when I read Townshend Whelen's Two Volumes of hunting in the Americas and Asia/Africa. All of the stories, all great stories, ended as tragedies, as each hunter lamented that the number of hunted animals was dwindling right before their eyes, in clear terms and without doubt. The need to betray its' own environment, for whatever reason, is why I find human ignorance, the worst in all species. We can do better.

....My opinion is, if you live in or near the forest, either live with what is there or get out.

.....Where do you set your boundary? We have them in the middle of town. Quotas are pitifully low, and the current trend of prioritizing predators is illogical.
7 billion people on the planet, lots think it's too many, not many stepping up to leave, most want to keep what's theirs, and leave the adjustment to others.

Forget the city, I thought my boundary seemed fairly defined to the NF border or other public land... something that seems reasonable and is one of the great achievements of our country. But this boundary seems not enough. Not enough to land/energy developers, anti-hunters, anti-shooters and in this case, non-conservationists. This site is about long distance hunting and cat hunting is not what this is about. Hunters have a handful of days to hunt. This nonsense is daily and anyone that is aware of the mass exodus of humanity to CO, is sick of it. As far as that worker needed in OR, please send him or her, asap.

My boundary is game management through science and not through emotion. Overpopulation of predators calls for more tags, not for a witch hunt by DNR because a middle class puppy got natured' or an oblivious idiot ran off trail.

Nature is scary, big news.

This post is way more articulate than mine. Thanks.

I don't know what the lion population is like around Glenwood, but down here in the four corners area, the lion population is crowded to say the least. Their is a place here, about a square mile, that land owners and/or CPW has killed six lions (that I know of) in the last five years due to them killing livestock. Maybe their lion population is above objective and this was their excuse to thin a few? And while I understand what you are saying about the people that want to live in the "wild" but don't want everything that comes with it , I'm not to concerned about five lions.

I don't know what the lion population is like around Glenwood, but down here in the four corners area, the lion population is crowded to say the least. Their is a place here, about a square mile, that land owners and/or CPW has killed six lions (that I know of) in the last five years due to them killing livestock. Maybe their lion population is above objective and this was their excuse to thin a few? And while I understand what you are saying about the people that want to live in the "wild" but don't want everything that comes with it , I'm not to concerned about five lions.
I agree way to many lions in the 4 corners area. Maybe we can give them to CO_GUY

You live down around these parts?
I am from Blanding Utah. Spent lots of time in Disappointment Valley Colorado area where my family runs livestock. Currently stuck in suburban hell in Utah valley. My wife is finishing her doctorate and we should be headed back. Assuming they dont make the whole area a national monument again. Should be able to keep it monument free until we lose Trump.

I am from Blanding Utah. Spent lots of time in Disappointment Valley Colorado area where my family runs livestock. Currently stuck in suburban hell in Utah valley. My wife is finishing her doctorate and we should be headed back. Assuming they dont make the whole area a national monument again. Should be able to keep it monument free until we lose Trump.
I'm between Cahone and Dove Creek. Love disappointment, big/little gypsum valleys. Drove through there last weekend on the way to miramonte for some ice fishing. Not to many places you can see deer, elk, pronghorn and desert bighorn in the same day.

I'm between Cahone and Dove Creek. Love disappointment, big/little gypsum valleys. Drove through there last weekend on the way to miramonte for some ice fishing. Not to many places you can see deer, elk, pronghorn and desert bighorn in the same day.
Nice! I know your area well. Had to go through Cahone to get to the nearest Walmart in Cortez, lol. The whole area could do with less mountain lion for sure.

This will always be a controversial subject and there is no one correct answer to the problem.

Nuisance animals can be dealt with most of the time without fatal results for the animal. Dangerous animals are a different story and hear lies the problem.

In some areas trapping and relocating works well, especially if the animal is indoctrinated to believe the residential area as a bad place. some states like Maine use dogs and non lethal shot shells to re indoctrinate them with good success.

Most of the time people are at fault for leaving food out or even feeding
animals because they want to see them. Feeding deer is common, but when predators become aware that there is food on the hoof that is easy pickings predators can become a problem.

In the South it is the same with Alligators. People feed the cute little beast and then one day a 10 footer shows up and he wants his share. normally it ends up being the loss of there pet.

I live next to several hundred acres of woods and everything from squirrels to hogs and deer live there. We solved some of the problems with cyan pepper others were trapped and hosed down (They didn't like it and don't hang around any more). We also have a snake problem from time to time and only spare the non poisonous ones that take care of most rodents) they avoid the weed eater treatment.

Small children add a new level of preservation to the problem, and normally the final solution may be the only option. Sad but true.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts