Pet Deer??

Hugnot

This is Buckworth - a young Mule deer fawn. He first appeared about 4 weeks ago with his mommy, a huge mule deer doe. Buckworth was unable to jump the 4 ft chain link fence that encloses our yard and could not accompany his mother. This upset Buckworth & he paced back & forth along the fence making plaintive bleating sounds. After mom disappeared Buckworth settled down and nested up against the corner of the house & garage, in shade, about 12 feet away from my tomato patch that I needed to tend every morning (epsom salt, Miracle Grow - nothing like a bushel of home-grown tomatoes to slice or chunk then there is slow stirred tomato sauce). Buckworth would watch me come & go sometimes only 5-8 feet away sometimes making little snorting sounds. After some 8-10 hours, mom would re-appear, give Buckworth some udder contents, then leave with Buckworth trailing.

Then no signs of Buckworth for 3 weeks until this afternoon. Buckworth nibbled on some clover & wet grass as he watched me tend to my sprinkler system some 25 feet away. No mom in sight.

IMG_1994.JPG

Tomatoes love magnesium

I think Buckworth is waiting for the tomatoes too!

Interesting - I have an organic garden for at least 10 years but never heard of the epsom/magnesium idea.

My tomatoes are just turning red now. I've got a hundred zucchini that I'm just giving away.

Trying to grow a GIANT pumpkin for my grandsons. It's my first attempt at that. LOL

This is Buckworth - a young Mule deer fawn. He first appeared about 4 weeks ago with his mommy, a huge mule deer doe. Buckworth was unable to jump the 4 ft chain link fence that encloses our yard and could not accompany his mother. This upset Buckworth & he paced back & forth along the fence making plaintive bleating sounds. After mom disappeared Buckworth settled down and nested up against the corner of the house & garage, in shade, about 12 feet away from my tomato patch that I needed to tend every morning (epsom salt, Miracle Grow - nothing like a bushel of home-grown tomatoes to slice or chunk then there is slow stirred tomato sauce). Buckworth would watch me come & go sometimes only 5-8 feet away sometimes making little snorting sounds. After some 8-10 hours, mom would re-appear, give Buckworth some udder contents, then leave with Buckworth trailing.

Then no signs of Buckworth for 3 weeks until this afternoon. Buckworth nibbled on some clover & wet grass as he watched me tend to my sprinkler system some 25 feet away. No mom in sight.

View attachment 479428
Wondering if you have a gate in the chain link fence? If you do I'd just leave it open and he'd find his way out or mom would lead him through. Hopefully mom will be back cause he ain't going to make it long without her.

Years ago I had shot a deer and they had started to process it. It was hanging and the man had started skinning it. He asked me how my hunting had been so far. Immediately I started running my mouth. LOL! I told him I had hunted all over the place for days and no luck so I just went in our back yard and shot one of my wife's pets. He stopped, turned his head towards me and said, "You--shot--your--wife's--pet?" At that point I knew it was time to stop joking, and I told him I had shot it in the woods.

Years ago I had shot a deer and they had started to process it. It was hanging and the man had started skinning it. He asked me how my hunting had been so far. Immediately I started running my mouth. LOL! I told him I had hunted all over the place for days and no luck so I just went in our back yard and shot one of my wife's pets. He stopped, turned his head towards me and said, "You--shot--your--wife's--pet?" At that point I knew it was time to stop joking, and I told him I had shot it in the woods.
Never let them name something that you may want to shoot!
Although my buddies wife named a turkey "Thanksgiving"

View attachment 479428
Thats cool that you have a young deer hanging on your property. That deer may disappear on day and show back up years later.

Our property has been loaded with deer ever since the house was built. Have deer bedding down and does birthing within 50' of our house. Jill had them eating out of her hands and I would always plant at least an acre+ with good deer and turkey feed and had several corn feeders. The last few years have not done the food plots or corn feeders due to my neck issues, but we still have deer right up to the garage door.

They even got along with Samson our 150# Bernese Mountain Dog. He is a Coyote KILLER, but protects Stock animals. I guess he thinks deer are our Stock. Have pictures of Samson and deer nose to nose. Now Cassie our young Great Pyrenees will bark at them, but doesn't chase. The deer just look at her and go about their day. Recently had a doe on each side of our house give birth to twins. We have had the same deer come here for many years.
There are several thousand acres around our property that is "Deer Managed" so there are some nice bucks. There is a Tree farm about 3/4 of a mile from us and the owner has a permit to shoot deer 24/7365. Claims they damage his trees.
I think that a lot of the deer around here come to our property as a "Sancturary" from those other properties. Jill also has a few Racoons and Possums as pets. There is something about our property where people drop off their unwanted dogs and cats so we always get a stray cat adopt us and we always find homes for the stray dogs.