Declined online transactions over $1 authorization

Darryle

I hope this makes sense.

Can one of the merchants please enlighten us why certain transactions get flagged as fraud, specifically related to something within the pay system and a $1 authorization at Google?

I tried to make a purchase at Arrowhead and the transaction locked my card down and I just now was able to release the fraud alert, but I tried it with a different card and the same result, both cards are with the same bank.

Same thing happened at Shoot-Long, took two days to complete that transaction because of the same $1 authorization at Google.

It's happened in the past with both of my credit cards and it was the same $1 authorization.

I am glad that they are looking out for the fraud, but this gets tiresome, like I want to pick up the phone and call versus using the computer.

Thanks Darryle

What is the Google code? It sounds as though you may be trying to purchase through a 3rd party somehow; i.e. Google gets a cut?

I haven't had this happen…anyone else?

I don't know, but it has tripped the fraud alert each time on multiple transactions.

Problem is, it has falling off and no longer showing pending because they authorize the $1 and then credit it right back to the card within a few minutes.

It was directly off of Arrowhead's website, but chrome is the browser I use on the laptop. It even happened with Safari on my iPhone with the Shoot-Long transaction.

It's frustrating because by the time I got it rectified, the product was out of stock.

What is the Google code? It sounds as though you may be trying to purchase through a 3rd party somehow; i.e. Google gets a cut?

I haven't had this happen…anyone else?

At my work some people's cards got hacked and small charges helped the thief determine if the card was active. Banks locked down the debit cards. Maybe the same for cc.

That was the first words out of the customer service representative when I called, she said it was the $1 authorization that locked it down because that is a common tactic among cc thieves.

They authorize the $1 and then the actual transaction gets declined because the $1 tripped the fraud alert.

I am going to call Arrowhead and see if they can shed some light on this for me.

I will update once I have a solid answer, I was hoping that out of the many merchants/supporters we have, they might have some insight.

Maybe my credit union is a little over zealous, but it happened with my Old Glory Bank CC and my Chase AA CC, so it's not an isolated incident, at least for me.

It's typical for credit cards. It is what card thieves try to do, before they charge a larger amount, so many CC companies automatically reject, lock it and notify the CC holder.

Last edited:
My similar experience was booking a hotel in Italy from the USA. The hotel, in order to verify the CC was valid, did a $1 charge. And as was in your case, the CC company put a block on my card. Just one day before I was to fly out. Called CC company, they explained (like they told you) and I told them the hotel was OK. Called the hotel and verified they understood what happened and was my reservation still valid. Everything ended up OK in my case but this testing of a CC can cause issues.

It depends on the bank that issues the card.
I have the Sinclair gas app and it authorizes a $1 charge to start the pump......wells Fargo blocks the sale and it trips their fraud alert---but it does not do this with my b of a card

I called Wells Fargo and they refuse to waive that automatic $1 decline/fraud alert for the Sinclair gas purchases--- they did tell me if I call right before I use the app then they can release it for purchase-- but that totally defeats the purpose of using a "convenient/quick" pay app as an option if I have to call and wait on hold till I get a rep to release it for purchase every time.---- so I just use my b of a card with that app.