Peregrine Bullets-They've Arrived

WildRose

Guys I just wanted to give you all a head's up on the Peregrine Bullets. I got an email from Hermann today letting me know that the first Shipment of 25,000 has arrived.

My limited experience with them in Africa was incredibly positive so I'm really looking forward to being able to give them a real workout here at home.

PlainsMaster Reloading Bullets - Peregrine Bullets

The VRG-4 "Plains Master" 180gr 30 cal is what performed so well for me in my 300wm on Black Wildebeest and Kudu but they make several other types of bullets as well.

This bullet is a monometal solid copper bullet that uses a brass plunger/tip for expansion. They shot very accurately for me and expanded perfectly with no break up. The bullets we recovered were all at or above 170gr.

The announcement came to me via email and the inventory/price list came via PDF so I can't link to it. If you are at all interested in giving them a try just email Hermann at [email protected] .

I can't promise these to be "The Perfect Bullet" for everyone but I can tell you they are very much worth a try. If they shoot well for you in your rifle you won't be disappointed by their terminal performance on game, especially large/heavy hard to knock down game like big hogs and Elk.

These bullets are designed by South Africans for hunting African game and are probably the most popular brand in the RSA and that should tell you a great deal about them.

Any of you that do try them please post your results here in this thread as I'd very much like to see if they work as well for ya'll as they have for me so far.

WR

g I

WOW! That's a lot of bullet$.

Interesting! Keep us posted. I see some similarities (esp., with the bands) with GS Custom Bullets - Designed in South Africa - Proven on the toughest game on the planet.
I see some in bullet shape and of course with the drive band technology but that's where it ends.

I really like the brass plunger and the size of the cavity below it.

It doesn't come to a perfect point which will help prevent problems in the magazine with deformation.

I wish I had more experience with them but as I've said before my limited experience with them left me feeling very positive.

Kudu and Black Wildebeest are tough animals to bring down with one shot. My Kudu dropped deader than a hammer with a shoulder shot through the spine and with only about a 1" exit and next to no meat loss.

The Black Wildebeest was dead on his feet with his heart and lungs gone but it was almost dead dark so I quickly through another into him. He didn't move a total of probably 15 feet but immediately spun around about three times on the first shot and was staggering and then went down hard on the second.

Neither bullet exited and again I was extremely happy with the way the bullets expanded.

My next trip to Africa I'll take the .375 Ruger Loaded probably with the peregrine 300gr for my buffalo and elephant and one of the 7mm STW's loaded with the 1500gr VRG-4's unless they come up with a heavier bullet of the same type.

It becomes a simple matter of math though with the monoliths. For the exact same bullet the monolith is going to run about 15% less weight than a lead core bullet. My experience though is that you get better penetration and much more reliable expansion with them than with the lead core bullets.

I haven't nearly the experience with these as I do with my tried and true Hornady Interbonds which are my favorite bullet by far but I'm going to give these a real chance to impress me enough to leave them behind.

I see some in bullet shape and of course with the drive band technology but that's where it ends.

I really like the brass plunger and the size of the cavity below it.

It doesn't come to a perfect point which will help prevent problems in the magazine with deformation.

I wish I had more experience with them but as I've said before my limited experience with them left me feeling very positive.

Kudu and Black Wildebeest are tough animals to bring down with one shot. My Kudu dropped deader than a hammer with a shoulder shot through the spine and with only about a 1" exit and next to no meat loss.

The Black Wildebeest was dead on his feet with his heart and lungs gone but it was almost dead dark so I quickly through another into him. He didn't move a total of probably 15 feet but immediately spun around about three times on the first shot and was staggering and then went down hard on the second.

Neither bullet exited and again I was extremely happy with the way the bullets expanded.

My next trip to Africa I'll take the .375 Ruger Loaded probably with the peregrine 300gr for my buffalo and elephant and one of the 7mm STW's loaded with the 1500gr VRG-4's unless they come up with a heavier bullet of the same type.

It becomes a simple matter of math though with the monoliths. For the exact same bullet the monolith is going to run about 15% less weight than a lead core bullet. My experience though is that you get better penetration and much more reliable expansion with them than with the lead core bullets.

I haven't nearly the experience with these as I do with my tried and true Hornady Interbonds which are my favorite bullet by far but I'm going to give these a real chance to impress me enough to leave them behind.

Sweet! I just love it when more choices are made available to us.lightbulb

Only monos I have seen are Barnes and they have always done me right!!!!
I'll look at what the Wise Wildone says and see about them

These look interesting for bear and camp defense loads. Where terminal performance is much more important than BC values. Appealing to the two bullet-use hunters. One for long range. One for defense, and preservation, of life at close range.

They look nice but I was hoping for heavier weights for the 7mm. I may try them
You can only get so heavy with solid copper because of it's lower density. To get the heavier weights the bullets get so long they are single shot only.

They make some specialty long range target bullets in the heavier weights but they aren't doing so with their VRG-4 hunting bullets.

With more and more of our hunting areas being limited to non lead bullets it's just something that unfortunately we are going to have to live with.

I'd like higher BC's for sure but if they shoot well I can live with it.

Well said Wildrose, if they shoot..who cares about weight and bc. Ultimately, all we need is a bullet to allow us to make a good clean kill.

morning, Remington used to make a bronze tip bullet FB. very accurate and

shootflop results. a person can use a lighter bullet because of the bullet construction. I got some left in 30cal. 180grs. I use them on hogs.gun)lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts