A little brag for an old friend. "Beans". And why I love Peregrine VLR Bullets

Where you live that's a pretty good deer I've heard. Where I live that's getting driven around the 3 northern most New England states for a week. Great write up.

GREAT STORY!!!!! What a magnificent buck!
As we age I believe we get more technologically retarded. I am happy you have someone to help you post the pictures.
Honestly as long as I was managing my own websites I kept up pretty well but turned that chore over to my sister in law about ten years ago.

Things have changed so much in the last decade it's like standing in place watching a Lamborghini drive away with the accelerator mashed to the floor.

I couldn't catch back up now if I tried.

Where you live that's a pretty good deer I've heard. Where I live that's getting driven around the 3 northern most New England states for a week. Great write up.
Thanks. He'll gross in the mid/high 150's which in this area makes him pretty exceptional. Rare to see one so much wider than his ears or as tall. We see quite a few with longer tines but generally a considerably smaller overall rack.

He's the nicest buck I've taken in probably a decade but it was the circumstances overall that made him special.

I've gone one other rifle that is dependable as "The Beast" in a collection of several dozen very nice rifles but even it isn't as special to me.

Beans put everything he had into building this gun and then was forced by circumstances to move where he just had no real use for it. He was kind enough to sell it to me for probably no more than he had in the parts if that much because he knew I'd give it a good home and lots of opportunities to do what it's made for.

I use it more for very long range coyote and hog hunting than anything else because it's so heavy but the way I have this place set up i'ts perfect for this rifle.

Great story, fantastic buck. The deer in your part of Texas must be pretty small in the body. That buck looks bigger than 150s ! An average mature Ga buck with those proportions, rack to body, would be pushing B&C for sure. Beautiful 10 pt !

Great story, fantastic buck. The deer in your part of Texas must be pretty small in the body. That buck looks bigger than 150s ! An average mature Ga buck with those proportions, rack to body, would be pushing B&C for sure. Beautiful 10 pt !

A big mature buck around here will have a live weight of 180-240lbs. He was probably around 220 since I had to field dress him in order to lift him up into the truck bed without hurting myself.

His score won't be much over 145-150 raw because he just didn't have the kind of exceptional tine length it would require to get into the 160's.

Honestly I don't care what he scores, it was just the hunt, conditions, and the story that makes him a trophy to me.

Honestly if Mario or one of his kids had been there to pull the trigger on him it would have meant even more to me but at least he was on the other end of the phone hunting with my by long distance so to speak.

Thanks. He'll gross in the mid/high 150's which in this area makes him pretty exceptional. Rare to see one so much wider than his ears or as tall. We see quite a few with longer tines but generally a considerably smaller overall rack.

He's the nicest buck I've taken in probably a decade but it was the circumstances overall that made him special.

I've gone one other rifle that is dependable as "The Beast" in a collection of several dozen very nice rifles but even it isn't as special to me.

Beans put everything he had into building this gun and then was forced by circumstances to move where he just had no real use for it. He was kind enough to sell it to me for probably no more than he had in the parts if that much because he knew I'd give it a good home and lots of opportunities to do what it's made for.

I use it more for very long range coyote and hog hunting than anything else because it's so heavy but the way I have this place set up i'ts perfect for this rifle.

mans perfect for 3 little hunter that want to pull the trigger. Aydden wants to shoot my 338 lapua!!! Maybe I'll give him that chance up there. !!! Hahahshsh

Sounds like your deer are about the same size ours are. I wouldn't worry about score either, but I've scored 100s of whitetails unofficially and I automatically start bouncing numbers around when I see an exceptional buck like yours. To your point, tine length is the biggest contributor to score, along with mass, just because they are multiple measurements in the B&C system . When you have exceptional beam length and wide inside spread , you can give up an inch or two per tine and still make score. One of the nicest looking whitetails I've seen in a while. Great symmetry and shape.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.