people shooting the WC 200 gr 7mm's

davewilson

people shooting the WC 200 gr 7mm\'s

i loved the feedback we were getting a while back on these bullets.as i recall,someone,i think it was ss7mm,was getting these to shoot very well with a 10 twist,in a 7 whby mag.i'm wondering if a 9 will handle these things when it's cold and high altitude?the reason i ask is because the tooling for the 7 twist is broke and i'd like to get a barrel before the snow melts.would you believe Dan Lilja returned my call while i was typing this post.he said the 7mm 7 twist barrels will be cranked off this friday,(for anyone that might be interested)so my original question of is a 7 twist really neccesary was answered by Mr Lilja as why even take a chance with a 9 when you are guaranteed with a 7.(not his exact words) any information about results with these bullets would be greatly appreciated by those of us who are starving for info.as a footnote, i FEEL much more accurate now that i've talked to my buddy, Dan.

Re: people shooting the WC 200 gr 7mm\'s

Dave,

I have been shooting them in limited amounts in my 7mm AM. In fact just Sunday Morning I trested these bullets out in teh 1-9 twist to see how much velocity I could get with annealed, formed cases and WC872.

Here are the velocity results:

103.0 gr. 3127 fps
104.0 gr. 3146 fps
105.0 gr. 3164 fps
106.0 gr. 3175 fps
107.0 gr. 3196 fps Easy extraction, light extractor mark???

This was in a 26" barrel. I have yet to test at longer ranges but will be loading up more test loads with the 107 gr load and try them at 500 yards.

Accuracy at 100 yards was consistantly between 1/2 and 3/4" which for a bullet of this length is pretty reasonable considering the barrel is only a Shilen standard grade barrel.

I am waiting on 5 of the new Lilja 1-7 twist barrel. Did you say my tooling is broke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

I just talked with Dan late last week and he also said the barrels would be getting rifled here very soon. Hope so, I have several customers wanting to try these things out!!

I will hold off saying that the 1-9 twist will fully stabilize the 200 gr ULD RBBT. I suspect it will not. ss7mm has told me in his testing of the 1-10 twist that at extended ranges the consistancy in grouping was not there with the 200 gr ULD RBBTs. I was suprised they even landed on point to be honest.

I would like to echo what Dan has already stated, if your going to build a rifle to shoot a 200 gr ULD RBBT, why not use the 3 groove 1-7 as it is available and will certainly fully stabilize this bullet in any conditions, even the worst possible.

I will be reporting soon on the 500 yard range test with these bullets.

Kirby Allen(50)

when i called monday,the lady that answered the phone told me the tooling or something was broke with the 7 twist.when i talked with Dan an hour latter he said he had what he needed and was gonna rifle the 7T stuff this friday. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifI thought ss7mm got a good group at 500 yds,in the 2's i think.i've just had this uneasiness about a 7 twist,but as info keeps coming forth,it certainly looks like a 9 is borderline.i like your "whatever twist it needs minus one" rule.after talking with Dan i'm much more at ease with the 7.besides i'm just not interested in shooting the smaller bullets.i've got other guns for that under 500 stuff.

Dave,

Richard told me that his prejected required twists for this bullet would be a 1-7 for total stability.

Dan stated the same thing, these two men know vastly more then I do on the subject so I trust their expertise and do what was recommended and sent Dan the check for the 1-7 tooling.

I know for a fact that the 1-8 twist would probably handle the 200 gr ULD easily in 90% of all shooting condiditons out there but 90% is not good enough if I am shipping rifles out to customers, they have to work every time so that is another reason why the 1-7 was decided upon.

In talking with Dan, I was concerned about pressure spikes with the fast 1-7 twist and he basically said this was a wives tale and that any increase in pressure from the faster twist would not be an issue at all, nor would velocity loss.

Again I have never had a reason to question anything Richard or Dan has told me so I take their recommendations as solid truths and live happily ever after /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

ss7mm was getting some pretty decent groups but in a report he sent me via e-mail he stated that he was experiencing some variations at longer ranges that he was confident were a result of stability issues.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

lets see,the barrel maker,the bullet maker, and the cartridge designer say use a 7 twist.this is a tuff one.i'm just hopin mine gets made this friday with the rest of them!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.