200 gr wildcats

Bigiron,

I sent some to a customer of mine who tested them in his 7mm AM with a 1-9 four groove. Groups at 100 yards were a shade over 3/4 moa and a couple groups at 300 yards looked to be around 1/3 moa.

He had a very limited number to test, really all I wanted to know is if they would land on point. At least at the velocities produced by the 7mm AM in a 30" pipe, it appears that 1-9 will do it, at least from that limited testing.

I have a 1-9 6 groove Lilja I am going to be making myslef an ultra light rifle with. It is a #3 contour and will be 27" long with a Rem 700 receiver and H-S precision sporter stock and DM system. Should be building that soon so I will be able to offer more information as well with the 200 gr pills in that twist. If they do not work in the shorter barrel, I will just have Richard ship me some 175 gr ULD RBBTs but I am hoping to use the 200 gr ULD RBBTs.

I think there have been a couple guys on here test them in the 7mm RUM with factory barrels. Some results were good, some not so good, typical with factory rifles.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thanks fifty & dakor. Now I wonder how those 7&8 twist bbls did with the 200's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

THey do great as long as velocity is held to 3200 fps or so. I do now feel though that a 1-8 twist with at least a 5 groove design is a better match for this bullet and with the 7mm AM a 1-9 with at least a 5 groove should be great as far as bullets being able to handle as much velocity as the round can produce.

The 1-7 twist is still viable though, there are some 225 and 250 gr ULD RBBTs coming soon which will require this twist and with the velocity of these very heavy bullets, they should not stress the bullet with this twist rate.

This was the original reason why we went with the 1-7 Lilja barrels, to hopefully cover everything from the 200 gr up to the 250 gr ULD RBBT. Still a 200 gr ULD RBBT loaded to 3200 fps is hardly anything to feel bad about!!!

365550.jpg

This old boy took two of them in the shoulder at 715 yards before he could make it to the brushline. An extra 100 fps would not have killed him any faster!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
With my 7T Lilja barreled Center-grip XP-100 specialty handgun in 7mm Dakota do you see any benefit in either of the two heavier bullets that Richard will come out with?

XP,

In the shorter handgun barrels, it will greatly depend on velocity potential to see which is better ballistically. I would suspect that in the shorter barrels, the 200 gr will offer the best combination of velocity and ballistic performance.

Since the velocity potential will be much less then a 30" barreled 7mmAM, you will not have the issues of pushing a bullet to fast in the 1-7 twist. I suspect it will shoot like a dream at any level.

Barks like a rabid dog but no recoil really /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!! Now if the **** thing will just show up at your door step!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I'm patiently (not so patiently /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif) waiting.
If I get it broke in on time I will debut it at our long range specialty handgun seminar May 6-8 in North Central Nebraska (Springview). Will shoot out to 1k and maybe out to a mile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If there is any specialty pistol shooters wanting attend, give me a holler.
I guess there is a reason they call it snail mail /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.