25 cal., 75 gr. Wildcats

Waltech Jim

Any one try these? Got a .25 with issues and I don't want to give up on 75 gr. bullets just yet. Thank You.

Jim

Hey Jim,
I haven't tried the Wildcats (yet). I have however, had great results with the 75gr Sierra using 49.5gr of IMR4064 (think CCI BR2's). 7RUMLoader gave me some 75gr VMax's, but I haven't tried any yet. I'm shooting a .25-06 Sendero SF. Can I ask what gun/caliber you're shooting? Are you having problems finding an accurate load? Johnny K.

JohnnyK,

There are very few things in life as frustrating as a gun that won't shoot. You can walk away from a frustrating person, you can change your job, you can move to another house...... a gun that won't shoot just sits there, taunting you, mocking you with its silence. (where DID I put my meds.......)

OK will try to make a long story short.

25-06 pd gun, 1.5 OD Krieger, 1-10, 28", mated to a M17 action. 4 oz trigger, pillar bedded in custom stock of my own. All work except the chambering was done by me. This is the 5th Krieger of my own and my 3rd 25-06 that I have built. The 75 Gr. V-max and 4350 has proven its accuracy potential several times over.

100 and some rounds later, I have tried: 3 different powders, 3 different bullets, loads ranging from starting to 2.5 grains over max. Looking over the target, you can't tell any diffence in ANY of the groups, regardless of the load, bullet, etc. All the groups are at about 1/2 inch. Proven scope and all the other stuff checked 1000 times.

I was going to try some 75 gr. Wildcats, and if they didn't work, I was going to switch the barrel over to a Rem action that I have. Then last night as I was cleaning the barrel, I looked into the muzzle and didn't like what I saw. The black moly against the copper showed some gouges across the rifling. It also looks as though the bullets aren't even contacting one of the lands. An inch was cut off the muzzle end, per Krieger instructions.

I am taking it to my gunsmith buddy tonight and he is going to look at it and we will make a decision as to what to do. I am thinking I am going to have to talk to Krieger about this one. I am not going to pour any more powder or bullets into this thing until I get the barrel checked out some how. Thanks for the come back. Will let you know what happens.

You will like those 75 V-max.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.