wc-860 & wc-872??

Mysticplayer

The higher the number, the slower the powder so 860 would be the fastest and 872 the slowest. Differing lots could change this but this is a general rule of thumb.

They are slow powders and can work very well. DC has burnt tons of the 872 so would be the best person to talk to.

I have used the H870 and found it to be too temp sensitive for my RUM. I will use what I have left for winter shooting but switch to H50BMG for summer. Groups with the H50BMG were better too.

Have not tried 872 but would suspect it would be temp sensitive.

Jerry

since the no longer make h-870 i am going to try one of these in my new .300 ultra....what are the differences between these 2?? thanks

WC860 is great for fire forming cases, actually shoots great groups but the vel is not there.I have heard that 872 is faster than the 860 but I haven't personally experimented with it.

A-G try some r25 or Imr 7828 or even WMR all these will shoot in my 300RUM.I have a friend
that uses H1000 in the 300/338 with good results.

Hello

872 is much slower then 860.
860 has the burn rate (some lots) of the old H4831. 872 has the burn rate of the 5010 powders.

872 is a great powder for cold weather longrange hunting and is not as hard on barrels as 5010 or 50 BMG seems to be.

The accuracy seems to be excellent with the 872 if it's not 85 or 90 degrees out.
Many of my longrange friends and I have for many years use it in most all our bigger longrange cases starting with the 6.5/300 Weatherby and going up with all the calibers I/we use.

In the 300 Tomahawk (imp 300 RUM) and using 240 gr bullets in a 34" barrel, I have churned up 3225 FPS using 872.

When it's hot out, we just load it down 2 or 3 grains and the flyers seem to be non existant.
WC-872 has won relays at Williamsport 1000 yard matches but, I don't think a year end aggregate has been won with it.

It's a great hunting powder for large cases though and the price is right. Usually about $5.00 or $6.00 per pound now.

Later
DC
smile.gif

I want to know if that black stuff I clean out of the barrel after shooting WC872 is graphite.

Anyone know how I can figure this out?

WC872 is supposed to have a high graphite content, it coats the barrel like molly when you shoot it.

This may not be a bad thing.

(I may be full of it also.)

Here is a source for it. Get it by the barrel if you want it. http://www.hi-techammo.com
What I remember now about it, is that you can get phenomenal velocities using it with very large cased wildcats. But the barrel will fill up with more crap than you can clean in an afternoon after only 10 shots.
I'm sure it has never been used successfully in any competition beyond blowing up old cars with 20mm machine guns.

To all posters
It is graphite and it is better for the barrel. Have had many people wonder how those using it get so many rounds through their overbore or large chambered rifles.

As for fouling, it is not as bad as the H870 and I can run 40 or 50 rounds through a 6.5/300 Weatherby and it will still shoot great.

I don't know what lot the one poster got hold of but, that has never happen to any of my friends who have used it or myself. Most of the many LR hunters I know use it exclusively for the winter time longrange hunting.

I have probably used more of it then any 10 guys on this or any forum there is.

My barrels last a very long time to. Even the "Big" overbore stuff.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Darryl,
I'm curious as to the degree of accuracy your getting with your Tomahawk and WC872. I always seem to get a flier or two at 1000yds with my 30/338LM Imp and wonder if I'm doing someting wrong. The rest of the shots all group into 6"-7", this is for 10 shots and the temp. is 45-75 degrees. I'm using 97grs and F210 primers which give me an ES of 24fps, the F215's were around 39fps.
TIA,
Wayne

I apologize for the wrench I was throwin at ya. Sounds like you guys have made excellent use of it
smile.gif

This unfavorable view of these surplus powders came from several sources, who assured me that I should steer clear.
One used it for a 338/50bmg, 2 others, for the 6mm MachV. 2 retail sources inquired, suggested dangerous temperature sensitivities(hi temp)and huge lot inconsistancies.
All said to clean the barrel every 5 shots or forget getting the fouling out. This must be the graphite your refering to.

However, if these things aren't true, then I'm as interested in them as anyone.
Its very difficult to get info about them.
Once again, I appologize

Wayne

6' or 7" with 8 or 9 shots at 1000 yards don't seem to be to bad at all.
I have seen relays won at Williamsport with those size groups and all 10 shots held in the group with no flyers. It was in cooler weather though and the temp. range you mentioned. The fellow used a 30/378.

Have you tried other powders and still got one or two flyers in a 10 shot string?
If so, it may not be the 872 powder and Could be something else?

I have always used the 215 Federal primer with that amount of Ball powder and it seems to work well for me even though your ES shows better results with the 210 for you. If it works and not broke, don't fix it.

Do you "always" get a flyer or two in a ten shot string?

As for me, we don't shoot 10 shots at game, so the flyer situation has never surfaced.
I use this powder strictly for Longrange hunting for big game in all my rifles. I have tried other powders but, seem to move back to the 872.

My accuracy at 100 yards is one cloverleaf hole most times out with any of the big rifles. At the ranges I shoot (1200 to 1500 yards and further) the accuracy is great and the 240 gr MKs in my Tomahawk seems to repeat very well at those ranges.

As for the rifles I use the 872 in, here is the list. All have at least 30" barrels and some have 34" and 37".

6.5/300 Weatherby
7mm Mag
7/300 Weatherby
300 Weatherby
300 Tomahawk
30/378 Weatherby
338/416 Rigby Imp
338/416 JK

Mickcr
Large cases have a great benifit when using the slower 872 powders. There are much better powders for the 6mm cartridges though.

As for cleaning, I know of one fellow that shot his 7/300 Weatherby in excess of 100 rounds before cleaning and the accuracy was still there.

Most of us use our longrange rifles in Colorado and Pennsylvania and then clean them at the "END" of both hunting seasons when we put them away.
The amount of rounds fired varies but, usually includes a few head of elk and deer, Plinking and spotter shots taken during the two seasons.

It's a great cold weather powder for large cases. I have never used it in a 50 BMG cal as I don't own a 50 except my muzzle loader.

Later
DC
smile.gif

[ 02-08-2004: Message edited by: Darryl Cassel ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.