Packable spotting scope sub $ 600- Which is best ??

Down Under Hunter

Hey guys,

just considering getting a well priced spotting scope for target shooting and packable enough to hunt with. What are good scopes for the money. I recently sold a Leica 77 televid, so I like looking in good glass, but wanted to put the money into gear I use more.

I have heard good things about the leupold gold ring 12-40 x 60. They look really packable and can be picked up secondhand in good condition fairly well priced. I would like to spend 600 or less.

What suggestions do you have _- Nikon etc ??

Appreciate your thoughts

DUH

My Nikon XL-KK 16-14 works for me.

Getting a steady packable tripod was the challenge. The Manfroto tripod was good but too large. A cheapie camera tripod with a handy vise was much more handy.

DUH,

I bought the Cabelas HD 20-60x65 (if I remember right). My partner uses a swaro 20-60x80. The Cabelas is no Swaro. But, I'd pay the 650 I paid for it again. It's not as small as some of the other options, but seemed much better glass to me. Plus Cabelas has a satisfacton guarantee. If you're not happy with it, send it back.

Good luck.

For quality in a small package take a look at the Nikon 50Ed with either the Nikon 13-30x zoom eyepiece or the Nikon 13-40x zoom eyepiece. At 1 pound, only 8" in length and ED glass I think you will find this to be the ultimate in a packing scope

I just found a Pentax PF63 (straight) with a 20-50 zoom eye piece for $260 on Amazon.com of all places. I wish it would have been an angled unit but for the price, I'll take it. :D

I'm not saying this is the best, but this was the best compromise of price (for my budget at the time) and packability (size, shape). Check out the size. The straight, tapered shape makes it very packable.

Bushnell | Elite 60mm with 15-45x Zoom | 781548P | B&H Photo

Sportman's Warehouse had the Nikon (virtual twin in size and shape) for $499 and the Bushnell Elite for $399. Bushnell was made in Japan and the Nikon in China, much to the salespersons surprise and mine. Glass in Bushnell seemed slightly better in side by side comparisons on a tripod. I got mine online for about $280 somewhere, I think.

My main goal was to be able to count points at 1K plus and it's done that. I can easily determine if I'm looking at a branch antlered bull at 2 miles+. It's not the best for low light conditions, that's for sure. And, it's not like looking through a Swarovski or Leica, but my budget won't allow a spotting scope from those guys and even if it did, their large size and weight make them very unappealing to me when it's time to put them in my backpack.

I also bought this Manfrotto tripod as its size, packability, weight, price and many great features won me over.

Bogen / Manfrotto | 785B Modo Mini Tripod | 785SHB | B&H Photo

At the same price, here's it slightly larger and heavier brother:

Bogen / Manfrotto | 785B Modo Maxi Tripod | 785B | B&H Photo

These tripods have an amazing array of features given their price, size and weight. Just what I settled on. Good luck.

Last edited:
A stray thought being as the places you hunt are pretty extreme. A really great pair of binoculars perhaps with doublers with a tripod mount might be enough.

A stray thought being as the places you hunt are pretty extreme. A really great pair of binoculars perhaps with doublers with a tripod mount might be enough.

Bob,

i pretty much used the geovid Leica binos full time, but some of my pre season work requires a spotter.

I am also looking to a new lighter tripod than my slik 500. Hard to beat Manfrotto.

Have any of you used the Leupold gold ring 15-45 x 60 ?? I think. that chunky fat , 2 tiered one ??

Thanks again all for your help..Happy New year to all.

DUH

I've looked through that a time or two. Definitely better glass than the one I reccomended--just heavier, bulkier and more expensive. If you're used to Geovids, it might be tough to downgrade to lesser glass! :eek:

I've looked through that a time or two. Definitely better glass than the one I reccomended--just heavier, bulkier and more expensive. If you're used to Geovids, it might be tough to downgrade to lesser glass! :eek:

Jmden,

WHat do you think would be a cheap price if you could get a secondhand leupold ?

Cheers

DUH

Down Under Hunter,

I don't know how you feel about USO but they have finally come out with their 15X40 60mm spotting scope. This link is to the first print I've seen on it. John introduced it to the Snipers Hide and this is the thread. I think they are planning on selling for about $700.

USO Spotting Scope(Pics) - Sniper's Hide Forums

I bought a used Leupold spotter like you're talking about and have used it for several years. I paid ~$400 for it, I think. I really don't remember. Too long ago. I'm going to sell it when I get enough money to buy the USO.

Down Under Hunter,

I don't know how you feel about USO but they have finally come out with their 15X40 60mm spotting scope. This link is to the first print I've seen on it. John introduced it to the Snipers Hide and this is the thread. I think they are planning on selling for about $700.

USO Spotting Scope(Pics) - Sniper's Hide Forums

I bought a used Leupold spotter like you're talking about and have used it for several years. I paid ~$400 for it, I think. I really don't remember. Too long ago. I'm going to sell it when I get enough money to buy the USO.

Stormrider.

Thanks for the tip. I have not heard of it or ever seen there scopes, but I know they are top shelf. I'll check it out ASAP.

DUH

Jmden,

WHat do you think would be a cheap price if you could get a secondhand leupold ?

Cheers

DUH

I really haven't investigated that model too much, so I'm probably not a very good resource to answer that question.

I'll be very interested to see what you decide on.

What about that USO scope mentioned on this thread?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.