Packable spotting scope advice

6x47lapua

I'm looking to purchase a spotting scope to spot long range shots. This will be carried back into the mountains though and can't be a huge, heavy piece. Any recommendations on something with good power, field of view, clarity and yet still compact?

Take a look at the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50. I've been looking around for a backpacking spotter for a while and so far I like this one the best. Very light weight and crystal clear glass. Leupold GR 15-30x50 isn't bad either. Both of these are in the 20-25 oz range and very compact. I like the Vortex better because of the fine focus feature and the angled eye piece (better when using a short tripod).

Can't go wrong with the 50mm razor. I just upgraded to a bigger size but only for the eyepiece and digiscoping options. I've been questioning my decision since, that was the handiest hunting scope I've ever used.

I have the Vortex and it is great. The challange is finding the right tripod for your use. I ended up getting a short compact one for use while sitting.

Lots on the table here. I carry a 65mm spotter all over God's creation in Alaska (especially mountains), will not be without it.... Unless I'm closer to the pickup for a bigger one.

The Razor 50 is a sweet rig, but doesn't have the zoom i would like.

"Spotting Shots" is a pretty loose in a quantifier, maybe more detail?

I love my Leopold compact spotting scope. It was their 1st spotting scope and has been and still is used by several western militaries for snipers due to its ruggedness, total waterproofing, great optics and compact size.

Leopold makes it compact by utilizing mirrors to "fold" the light. It works very well.

My Leopold cost about $450. on sale back in 1995. Now that same scope is around $1,000. SHEESH!

I know this is an old thread but thought I would chime in. I just picked up a new razor 50mm after selling my old diamondback 20-60x80. I never was that impressed with the diamondback and wanted something different. I typically use my 12x50 binos on a tripod on most hunts. I decided to try and find something else that didn't break the bank for no more than I would use it. I was more than pleased after getting it and couldn't believe how much better this 50mm was than the cheaper 80mm I had before. What surprised me more was how small this thing is. I actually feel I will probably use a spotter more now just having something smaller that is easier to carry with me and not add a ton of weight. If you haven't picked one up yet I would give this one some serious consideration.

Has anyone tried out the Kowa TSN 600 or 660 series spotting scopes as a packable option? The weights are down enough that I'm giving them a look along with the other suggestions on the thread.

Has anyone tried out the Kowa TSN 600 or 660 series spotting scopes as a packable option? The weights are down enough that I'm giving them a look along with the other suggestions on the thread.

a lot of bird watchers use them when they go into remote areas. Optics are among the very best out there.

BTW,

I never carry my spotting scope when hunting, even for elk. I carry Bushnell ARC 1 Mile 10 x 42 laser rangefinder binoculars. They are programmed for my specific cartridge and the mil hold reading is very close regardless of altitude when I'm within 400 meters with 180 gr. .300 Win. mag cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.