Packable spotting scope sub $ 600- Which is best ??

Some options

Been using a Nikon XL spotter for a number of years. Nice compact, rugged, light, weather proof package. All in one. Pretty good optics. Able to resolve 30cal holes in the white at 600yds under light mirage conditions.

Recently, wanted to get some better glass and have settled on the Pentax 65ED spotting scope. WOW, awesome optics in a compact/light/weatherproof package.

The variable eye piece that comes standard is of a lesser grade yet allowed me to resolve branches off small brush at 2000yds. There would be no issues spotting game with this puppy. 20 to 30X covers ALOT of viewing needs.

The eyepiece is not eyewear friendly past 40X!!!! Also, the image quality does fall off quickly near 60X. 60X is still pretty clear but a bit dim due to 'small' occular lense.

I have upgraded to the larger soup can size variable. Considered by many birders as the best variable eyepiece on the market today.

Pentax ED glass is right up there with the best/most expensive Euro scopes. Better view desired.com for full details.

Will also fit in your budget. I got mine from camerlandNY

Jerry

I just found a Pentax PF63 (straight) with a 20-50 zoom eye piece for $260 on Amazon.com of all places. I wish it would have been an angled unit but for the price, I'll take it. :D

The Pentax PF-63 arrived, it did come with a 20-50x eye piece, I set it up well after dark and looked into the douglas firs about 300yds down range. I was able to zero in on the needles of a tree branch and make out excellent detail of the needless. The focus was smooth and it was pretty easy to dial into proper focus.

Completely acceptable for $260. :)
Don

I really haven't investigated that model too much, so I'm probably not a very good resource to answer that question.

I'll be very interested to see what you decide on.

What about that USO scope mentioned on this thread?

jmden,

I guess you tend to fall back to brands you know will have what you need. i just have not been able to fault any Leupy product I've ever had. And there after sales is legendary.

I would be very interested in the USO one , but have not seen any reviews or am I likely ever to see one in Aus. So could be hard to get details on.

Are they even on the Market yet ? What specs are they, power, variable, fixed etc ??

Hopefully someone will come back with a good secondhandy for sale ?

heres hoping.

Cheers

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.