New spotting scope advice

huntem

I am looking to purchase a new spotting scope. My most recent optics purchased have been either Kahles/Swarovski. I like the STS 65 & 80 but WOW mucho $$$$. I have the money but looking for an other option. I realize that you are talking about the best glass but a dollar is still a dollar.

Thanks in advance

I agree with the others, Swaro rules the roost. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

But, Kowa makes a super nice spotter for less money..FWIW..sakofan.

Other candidates would be Zeiss Diascope, but has less ocular options , Leica Televid APO 77 but is silver or Optplyth. I have an Optolyth TBS 100. It is tough, green rubber armoured and the soft case is also green if it matters.

The only very minor thing against the Swarovski is the focus wheel around the tube. The small wheel things on the Leica and Optolyth seems easier to use in getting a very fine focus. Nothing anginast the mechanical system you are just disturbing the scope and so the image less with a wheel type thing.

Whatever you get it is worth the extra for the HD/APO version and a good tripod like a Bogen/Manfrotto 055NAT3 is a must (also available in green).

Good luck with whatever you get.

David

Hhttp://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=4&purch=1&pid=1220untem,

I hear ya on the price------------- check out this one. I've had one for over a year now and I love it. I use it for shooting NRA high power across the course and John Garand match's. My friend bought the Zeiss 65mm at the same time and paid big bucks and they are so close it's almost undetectable except mine has longer eye relief. The Swaro's are by far the best I have looked through if you got the money!!!!!

I use Swarovski 10x42 SLC's and a Swarovski 20-60X by 80mm spotting scope and believe them to be the best. I have found orange colored rockchucks on top of orange colored rocks at almost two miles away with the spotter. The only way I could tell they were rockchucks is because the resolution on the Swaro is so good that I could tell a difference in texture of orange fur and orange rock!

One other spotter you might want to look at is the Leupold 15-45X60. It has 90% the clarity of the Swaro at half the weight and half the price. When I finally get to go Dall sheep hunting in Alaska, I will leave the Swaro in base camp, and buy a Leupold to take up those 50 degree inclines! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I know this won't be popular, but here goes anyway. Take a look at the KOWA.A lot of longe range targaret shooters have chosen this scope over all others for a reason! A check on any number of the match shooters web sites that sell gear for theses shooters, you'll find a lot of KOWA scopes. The test I like is a side beside comparison looking at bullet holes at 200 and 300 yards at the same power settings. My own has the 27X eyepeice. As far as taking that LEUPOLD 50mm to Alaska for sheep, I would tell you it's a great choise, most sheep guides have and use them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FWIW the accomplished HP shooters that can afford better glass don't stick with the Kowas. At least a number won't. I know that Optolyth is much clearer. Its huge though. And the Leica and Zeiss are both clearer. The army swapped from Kowa to optolyth to Leica.

I'd love to buy a Leica, but with putting it all in your backpack I may rethink it a bit more and head back towards the Leupold option.

All that being said, the Kowa is not a bad scope. Just not the very top of the line.

And I'd sure love to be able to compare the Swarovski to the Leica and Zeiss. I am thinking there could not be much if any difference. But until I could compare, I wont' know for sure. Have never seen a Swarovski on the HP lines.

Jeff

[ QUOTE ]
When I finally get to go Dall sheep hunting in Alaska, I will leave the Swaro in base camp, and buy a Leupold to take up those 50 degree inclines!

[/ QUOTE ]

You bring up a good point that I certainly have considered (size and weight) Regardless of price the swarovski and leica are not small or light by any means. I first agreed with the idea of keeping the swarovskis in base camp (size factor) but I then thought why have both. Yes, I realize that a lot of glassing can be done from the lower altitudes.

Another thought I have is on the Leupolds. With influence of the wind river products, I don't think the glass is of the same quality as the older Gold ring. Anyone agree /disagree

Guys, check out the premier reticles spider web spotting scope that will be out soon. Chris and Dick have been working hard to get this scope on the market, and contrary to fashion these days, they won't release it till ist 100%, which is why its notout just yet. Ive seen a prototype and i will be buying one when they are released.. and thats froma guy who usualy only uses european optics.. give premiera call and tell em Pete Lincoln says Hi.
Pete

Well I'm not much for purchasing used items but I did this afternoon. Rather than paying $1500 for the 65mm Swarovski, I paid $1100 and bought a 65mm Swarovski from the bargain cave in the Wheeling, WV Cabelas. Scope body, 20-60 eye piece, case and caps all included. With the condition and product quality, I feel pretty comfortable with having a quality scope for many years to come.

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.