Spotting Scope Advice

I have the big Razor and the optic weight by itself isn't too bad. To use it full power a tripod will need to be another weight consideration as that much magnification needs complete stability or you will have a headache in no time. My Manfrotto tripod holds it very stable but is way too heavy for mountain backpack hunts, unless you have a sherpa to carry it for you.;)

My advice is spend money on high quality optics. Not sure which series of Kowa you are looking at but there top end spotters are just that, they are another class above the vortex razor series. The average Priced Kowa"s are on par with vortex viper series.

My experience with the Vortex Razor 11-33 is I can out glass them with my Swaro 15's. I was disappointed small objective doesn't gather enough light for the upper powers.

In the end it all depends on the use and detail you expect from them. If your trying to judge if a buck is 170 or 190 from 3/4-1mile the vortex don't cut it. If your just trying to tell if it's a mature buck they are good enough.

I have a gen 1 16-48x65 which has the same focus mechanism as the kowa and is about 1/2lb lighter then the Gen II razors and can be found new and used for under $700.

I compared it to a kowa 554 and the kowa was sharper in the center (not by a ton) and had better all around glass but the FOV and eye relief bothered me a bit.

I think the lil kowa holds a place in the ultralight backpackers kit but for everyday glassing it does make some sacrifices.

I'm pretty happy with my gen I razor 65mm. I have some comparisons on Rokslide as well if you look up my handle there.

Nikon ED 50 weighs 20 oz with the eyepiece, get the 13-40x eyepiece, not the 13-30x. With the vortex summit tripod it comes out to just over 3 lbs 4oz , folds down to 13" and extends to ~5 feet with the 4 piece twist lock legs and center post. You can also use the tripod for binos if you get extra QD shoes from Vortex. This is my LW solo setup. I have a Meopta S2 20-60x82mm and Swaro 20-60x65mm to round out the pack and this little Nikon holds its own. Nikon has some fantastic ED glass but I am not a fan of their riflescopes for other reasons than the glass.
thumbnail (99).jpg
thumbnail (100).jpg
thumbnail - 2020-05-04T160853.793.jpg

Nikon ED 50 weighs 20 oz with the eyepiece, get the 13-40x eyepiece, not the 13-30x. With the vortex summit tripod it comes out to just over 3 lbs 4oz , folds down to 13" and extends to ~5 feet with the 4 piece twist lock legs and center post. You can also use the tripod for binos if you get extra QD shoes from Vortex. This is my LW solo setup. I have a Meopta S2 20-60x82mm and Swaro 20-60x65mm to round out the pack and this little Nikon holds its own. Nikon has some fantastic ED glass but I am not a fan of their riflescopes for other reasons than the glass.View attachment 192007View attachment 192008View attachment 192009
I use the summit tripod as well - I love it. I also have the summit window mount. I like how they accept the same base.

I have a Vortex Viper HD Gen 2 15-45x65 Spotter that has been awesome - super impressed with the glass and it weighs 60oz. I am thinking I want something lighweight for the backpack hunts. I am thinking I want to upgrade and go one of two routes:

1. Kowa 554/553 - same magnification range but half the weight (28oz). I have read about the FOV and I am not too worried about it. I do most of my glassing with 12x50 binos.

2. Pick up a Vortex Razor 27-60x85 (its only 65oz) and a Vortex Razor 11-33x50 (25oz). I can use the big boy when I am on horseback or rolling around in the truck/ATV. And throw the little one in the pack when I am on foot.

I get leo pricing, so it wouldn't be much more to go with #2.

What are y'alls thoughts?

What did you end up going with?

What did you end up going with?
Funny - I am still debating. I just used my 15-45 viper on my spring bear hunt. I think I am leaning towards the Kowa for a single do it all spotter. Kowa's warranty or lack there of has been my biggest hold up with them.

Funny - I am still debating. I just used my 15-45 viper on my spring bear hunt. I think I am leaning towards the Kowa for a single do it all spotter. Kowa's warranty or lack there of has been my biggest hold up with them.

Have you compared the Kowa 553/554 to the Swaro ATS 65 20-60?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.