Advice on a mid-priced spotting scope.

libertyman777

I need a nice spotting scope. I'll have to sell one of my air rifles but that will give me about $500 to spend. I'm scoping my rifle with either a used Kahles 3-9 or a Vortex Viper 2.5-10, PST.

It'll be used for everything from spotting holes at the range (100 yards), to glassing cut overs for deer, to some long range work (I plan to shoot a 1000 yard match this next year and hopefully take some training as well).

I've found two thus far that look promising. One is the Vortex HD 15-45x65. It's just above my price range. The 20-60x80 HD is out of my range new but if it's considered to be that much better, I would hold for a used one.

Also, the Kowa non-prominar, used. Will the Viper HD compare to the non-prominar Kowa?

Any others I should consider? Recommendations? The only spotter I've used to date was a Burris 15-45 Landmark and haven't been impressed.

Thanks,

Paul

I bought a vortex probably five years ago before they had hd and it has easily been the best buy I have ever made in optics. I have friends who have paid 2 to 4 times as much and would happily trade for mine.
I think mine is a 20-60x80.

I know people who have the larger spotting scopes and they say they are great for shooting but when they go hunting they seem to get left in the truck because they are so heavy. So I would establish what your use for the spotter is going to be. The 60mm seem to be a good balance. I backpack hunt so Im going down to a leupold gold ring 15-30, I hear good things about it.

I know people who have the larger spotting scopes and they say they are great for shooting but when they go hunting they seem to get left in the truck because they are so heavy. So I would establish what your use for the spotter is going to be. The 60mm seem to be a good balance. I backpack hunt so Im going down to a leupold gold ring 15-30, I hear good things about it.

Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing. I'll be using this scope at are local 100 yard range a lot, developing loads, etc.

Next most frequent use will be in an elevated shooting house overlooking a cut over that we hunt.

And once, maybe twice a year, it'll go down to shoot a long range match at 800, 900 and 1000 yards.

I've discovered this scope>

Vortex_Recon_RT_15x50_Tactical_Scope.jpg

And here is the reticle>

ret_recon-rt_10x.jpg

Comes in 10x50 and 15x50, which is fine for my hunting needs and the 15x will allow me to see .22 caliber hole at 100 yards. But it also has the option of a 2x Doubler. I contacted the fine folks at Vortex today and the guy gave it a try and said it works "surprisingly well" (his words). Normally I wouldn't take a lot of stock in what someone from a company tells me but I've dealt with Vortex on several occasions and they are straight shooters. I may give this one a try.

Paul

+1 I have a fixed 25X Leupold Gold Ring compact spotting scope and really like it. If I bought one today though, I would opt for the 15-30x50mm Leupold Compact scope. It really is a nice scope. I like Leupold and they have great warranty and are made here in the USA. At least the Gold Ring stuff is.

There is no way I would consider taking my 20-60x80 backpacking. It is very nice to use close to the truck though.

Funny you should say that. I was thinking the same thing. I'll be using this scope at are local 100 yard range a lot, developing loads, etc.

Next most frequent use will be in an elevated shooting house overlooking a cut over that we hunt.

And once, maybe twice a year, it'll go down to shoot a long range match at 800, 900 and 1000 yards.

I've discovered this scope>

Vortex_Recon_RT_15x50_Tactical_Scope.jpg

And here is the reticle>

ret_recon-rt_10x.jpg

Comes in 10x50 and 15x50, which is fine for my hunting needs and the 15x will allow me to see .22 caliber hole at 100 yards. But it also has the option of a 2x Doubler. I contacted the fine folks at Vortex today and the guy gave it a try and said it works "surprisingly well" (his words). Normally I wouldn't take a lot of stock in what someone from a company tells me but I've dealt with Vortex on several occasions and they are straight shooters. I may give this one a try.

Paul

I initially went a similar route in that I used a doubler on my 10x khales binos and was dissapointed with the result. The image it not very bright. I had a deer just before last light at 352 yards and couldnt for certain count the points. I was able to use my 6.5-20 vortex scope line it up on the deer and somehow got lucky enough to line the doubler on that and get a 100% certain verification that it was a 3 pointer. I shot the deer across a canyon but was unable to get to it before dark. The next morning I came back and could identify the points with ggod light with just the binos. I think you would be dissapointed if you used this vortex fixed option above and relied on the doubler for more power.

I initially went a similar route in that I used a doubler on my 10x khales binos and was dissapointed with the result. The image it not very bright. I had a deer just before last light at 352 yards and couldnt for certain count the points. I was able to use my 6.5-20 vortex scope line it up on the deer and somehow got lucky enough to line the doubler on that and get a 100% certain verification that it was a 3 pointer. I shot the deer across a canyon but was unable to get to it before dark. The next morning I came back and could identify the points with ggod light with just the binos. I think you would be dissapointed if you used this vortex fixed option above and relied on the doubler for more power.

Yeah, I just checked with Scott at Liberty Optics and he said the same thing.

I wonder if that 15x50 will allow me to see bullet holes at 100 yards?

I think you will dissapointed if you go that route. Another option I looked at is the minox MD 50 16-30 spotter. If you go to cameralandny they had some on sale for demo units for 219. Minox has a full no fault warranty. I am really struggling to not buy this spotter. All the research I have found says the leupold is only marginally better. Check it out it may be just the right price range and suit your needs well. Just be sure to post a review if you get one ;)

I have some interesting observations about spotting scopes. I have a Nikon Fieldscope ED III and it is a real nice piece of glass and retails for around $1700. It is extremely sharp and I can easily see 22 caliber bullet holes on white targets at 300 yards if the mirage isn't too bad. Seeing bullet holes at 100 yards with the scope on 20x is a piece of cake you can really see lots of definition when you crank it up to 60x.

My buddy has a Burris Landmark 15-45x that sells for around $170. The scope is not near as sharp when looking at targets, but it gets the job done with no complaints. What ****es me off is that when we are looking at deer he can always see antlers easier than I can. The image isn't as sharp as the view through my Fieldscope, but the way the colors come through lets you see the antlers better.

I've often wondered about selling my Fieldscope, buying a cheap Burris and using the extra money to buy another gun. haha In all honestly I love my Nikon but that Burris Landmark sure surprises me with how well it performs for under $200

Well, I've continued to dig around and have found what I think it is a pretty good deal on a Kowa 60mm non-Prominar, new for under $350. Of course I'd have to get a eyepiece but I should be right in there on my price point.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.