P-Dog long range gun?

MTDOGGER

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
the season is almost here and i was trying to figure out a gun to build for a long range P-Dog gun. Any recomondations on caliber, barrel length and twist, I also would like a caliber that doesnt eat barrels. Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------

DIY Montana Adventures

Equipped rental camper delivered to your MT hunting spot

Last edited by a moderator:
204 Ruger..love mine. Super flat shooting, good punch with 39 grain sierra blitzkings and extremely little recoil. Hot little caliber IMO. Good out to 500 to 600yds on Pdogs. After that I grab my 260 Rem.:cool:

6mm BR. Very accurate little number, with great barrel life. A fast twist 22-250 would also be good pushing 90gr vld's, but barrel life is shorter.

I was a 22-250 with a 26 inch barrel guy as a young lad. I shifted to HP with 6mm I shoot a 243 win with 75 or 87 grain hpBT's I was going to build a 6mm XC but I started having so much fun with my 243 that I just stayed with it.

the season is almost here and i was trying to figure out a gun to build for a long range P-Dog gun. Any recomondations on caliber, barrel length and twist, I also would like a caliber that doesnt eat barrels. Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------

DIY Montana Adventures

Equipped rental camper delivered to your MT hunting spot

What do you consider long-range? lots of guys here suggesting high-power 22's and unless they are shooting 77grain+ bullets in fast twist barrels, I would not consider a 22 a long-range gun (I consider long range at 600+). If your definition matches mine, then you will want a 6mm, 6.5mm or 7mm - something with a high BC so that you can really reach out there. My 260 (6.5mm) shoots well at 1200 yards.

Last edited:
Agree with budlite and trebark on 6mm.

For years I shot several different large cased .22 centerfires, but now I pretty much prefer the 6mm (in my case, 243AI with 26", 1-10 twist, heavy Krieger SS barrel with muzzle brake, and 70gr Nosler BTs). It takes care of everthing, near and far; and at the leisurly pace I shoot (with frequent proper cleaning), my last barrel maintained acceptable accuracy for several years. Of course, I only get to the dog fields once or twice a year.

If I shot varmits more often I'd opt for one of the smaller cased 6mms (6XC, 6br, stc,)

Last edited:
Got to join the 6mm crowd on whacking my favorite little targets. Shot the hot little 22's for lots of years, but really got tired of fighting the wind with the little bullets. I currently have 2 6mmAI's & a 300 Jarrett bench gun for those waaay long shots.

Racr350, you must be a WISE man. LOL The 260 has been calling my name, will see how the 6.5-284 treats me. I think that it will be more accurate than I. You go to an all new level out past 600 yards me thinks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts