Long-ish range prairie dog caliber?

400-600 yards isn't so far that it takes even a .223/5.56 out of the running for prairie dogs. I shoot quite a bit in windy conditions over prairie dog fields and have used both 5.56 and 22-250 to good effect at those distances and beyond. While the .223/5.56 works just fine, the 22-250 is easier to shoot in the wind. A scope reticle with wind holds or, at a minimum, mil/moa hash marks and matching turrets is very useful for spotting and adjusting for misses.

I would be looking at a factory rifle of your choice in .223/5.56, 22-250, or .243, shooting Hornady Superformance Varmint as my first choice of ammo. This will buy you 53 VMAX @ 3465 in .223, 50 VMAX @ 4000 in 22-250, and 58 VMAX @ 3925 or 75 VMAX @ 3580 in .243 Win. If the chosen rifle doesn't like Superformance, the standard Varmint Express typically does very well.

The .204 Ruger may also deserve consideration, but I don't have any personal experience with it.
204 would be a good one

Hey Savage, I'm in Sturgis and have a .204 if close enough you could check it out to see if it would meet your dad's needs but if he's like me he'll always say I wish it would've been the one I looked at or the one I wanted. just my .02
hhardrock

Oop's, I forgot to add my second pick which would be the (cartridge) 6XC the one I have is an outstanding performer.

Most all the calibers mention here will do the job, some are a little harder on barrels, other not so much, my pick would be my; .223 Rem LR rifle with a 1-8 twist in PacNor's polygonal barrel. I use Berger or Sierra 80gr match bullets with Lapua or my second pick WW brass, WW being much cheaper for a long day of p-dog shooting, and VV 150 As I said, almost all the other calibers will do the job, but'..., I believe I can put a lot more rounds down range without all the barrel burning and replacement problem of many other mentioned. As for accuracy, this has been one of my go-to match rifles for 1K competitions over the years even with a little wind, it just makes you learn to read wind a little better. I don't think it's the know all do all of the long-range hide popping cartridges, but'..., it gets the job done and with little, and I mean very little recoil in a rifle of this type.

223-rem-m700-8-5-25x40mm-mrt-lr-1-8-twist-001-10-jpg.140996
223-rem-m700-8-5-25x40mm-mrt-lr-1-8-twist-001-11-jpg.140997
80gr-berger-24-5grs-n150-wsr-ww-case-2900-fps-from-m700-223-custom-100-yards-002-jpg.140998

Just recently completed a 3 day prairie dog shoot in Seligman, Arizona. Did a hunt in 2018 shot the following 22 Hornet 45gr Blitzking, 243 Win 75gr SMK. This year 2019 shot the 22 Hornet (300rds). 6.5 Grendel 90gr Speer Varmint (300rds). My buddies shot T/C 1-9 Bulberry Custom builds 22-250, 55 gr Vmax handloads.
The 243 is great for the long shots. BUT the recoil even though manageable still pulls you off the target. If you miss there is a small delay in recovery for follow up shots. There allot of folks who say to add a muzzle break. This will allow you to spot your hits.
However shooting prairie dogs is about spotting the dogs at varying distances and environmental conditions. Wind constantly changes in speed and direction. When the shot presents it's self you need to make the shot and be ready for follow ups. It's a riot!
Between us 3 Shooters are average for 600rds apiece was 60% success. I made 208 kills. That's allot of shooting. Many were multiples kills with a few doubles with one shot.
We have decided to build Rem700s in 22-250 with 1/8 twist barrels at 22". Hart barrels with medium varmint, timney triggers, H&S Precision stocks. We want to take advantage of the heavy bullets in 224 for the long shots. The Thompson Centers were 18/20" barreled. The wind was the primary factor that affected accurate hits beyond 400 yards. In the past I was a long range competitive shooter. Shilouette, DCM, LR Varmint, etc. Competing with the AR15 in DCM Matches the 69, 77 and 75 grain bullets made shooting the 500 meters doable.

PLUS, follow up shots are easy and consistent all day long.
Gonzo
SEMPER FIDELIS
GOOD LUCK

"sand gerbils" ROFLMAO!! That's awesome!

Just because the SAMMI spec is for a specific twist rate doesn't mean that you have to stick with that twist. Granted, finding a factory barreled rifle with a non spec twist isn't going to be easy, assuming its even possible. However, for example have a look at Pac-Nor's page. Within reason can spec the twist rate and rifling type that you want with the chambering that you want in the barrel profile that you want. All other custom barrel makers do this too, its just easy to see on Pac-Nor's page.

This is where a Savage or a "Remage" really shines. Can order a pre-fit barrel the way that you want and fit it yourself with only a few tools.
Yes sir, I'm a huge savage/remage fan. I dont like to farm out anything I do . Barrel nuts eliminate the gunsmith all together except chambering the barrel . I like having some control over head spacing too. A vise and a barrel nut wrench and I'm good to go !

Planning to build/buy my dad a rifle for prairie dog hunting. He's expressed interest in a .22-250 but the buddy he will be hunting with shoots anywhere from 400 yards to 600 yards and in our state of South Dakota the wind always blows at least 10mph - 25mph it seems. I have wondered if a .22 bullet will be buffeted around by our wind too much to be an effective cartridge. Any suggestions for a better prairie dog cartridge or will a .22-250 suffice? Also, I feel I should note my dad has never owned a rifle before, only shotguns, and will be using factory ammunition. As tempting as a tighter-than-factory twist barrel and 75gr hand-loaded 22-250 sounds, I don't think that will be an option for factory loaded ammo that is readily found at Cabelas.
Planning to build/buy my dad a rifle for prairie dog hunting. He's expressed interest in a .22-250 but the buddy he will be hunting with shoots anywhere from 400 yards to 600 yards and in our state of South Dakota the wind always blows at least 10mph - 25mph it seems. I have wondered if a .22 bullet will be buffeted around by our wind too much to be an effective cartridge. Any suggestions for a better prairie dog cartridge or will a .22-250 suffice? Also, I feel I should note my dad has never owned a rifle before, only shotguns, and will be using factory ammunition. As tempting as a tighter-than-factory twist barrel and 75gr hand-loaded 22-250 sounds, I don't think that will be an option for factory loaded ammo that is readily found at Cabelas.
You are not going to hit very many dogs at 600 yards in a 25 mph wind with anything. We have thousands of prairie dogs here in south east Utah and I'd bet $25 on every shot and I'd pay $100 for every hit on dogs out at 600 yards.

My go to for similar Wyoming conditions is 6mm Rem. Easy to load and very accurate. I know it's fairly old school but if it's not broken, don't fix it.
Agreed and the 25-06 is another old school cartridge that will reach out very nicely and drop dogs/coyotes/deer/antelope very quickly without much recoil. Factory ammo in most Cabelas stores. Good reloaders cartridge also. CR hype is big these days and it's good but old timer cartridges have stood test of time..and are still ticking..

Just go with a 22-250 or even the ackley version and do not look any further. Get a faster twist for 60-75gr and don't look back. I took two to SD and did just fine out to 600+

Sounds like two rifles is the answer .

Go with a heavy bareled 22-250 (he's fired up about this cartridge), and the "obsolete" 260rem in something lighter weight. Take both to the p-dog field, and if wind is a limiter on longer shots bring the 260 into play.

A light 260 will be a great option in the deer woods!

Who ever regrets two rifles?

Good luck and have fun!

I use a Model 7 Remington with a 22-250 cal with a 1:8" twist that shoots bug holes with 62 gr TTSX Barnes bullets on game from prairie dogs to mule deer to hogs and groups 1/2" @ 200 yards. What's not to like?

You are not going to hit very many dogs at 600 yards in a 25 mph wind with anything. We have thousands of prairie dogs here in south east Utah and I'd bet $25 on every shot and I'd pay $100 for every hit on dogs out at 600 yards.

gunbearr nailed it!!!!!
jus tel him to get a lot closer. the show is much more spectacular up close with a medium varmint barrel in 223 40g boolits!!!! keep shots in the 100-250yd range for consistent hits that builds the ego!!!!! take a few long shots jus for the fun factor but closer is much more so....
and let us kno what yall pick

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.