"size" of prairie dog used for ranging

ker2222

\"size\" of prairie dog used for ranging

What size estimate do you guys use for trying to range prairie dogs??? I have usually figured on 12inches tall when standing but that doesn't seem to be bearing out. Most I've seen are bigger.

Thanks

Re: \"size\" of prairie dog used for ranging

Good luck with rangeing prairie dogs that way past 400 yards!Early season and even mid summer the pupps will drive you nuts trying to range them accurately.Another problem is it depends on the area,some dogs are bigger and or smaller.
A 11-16" range leaves a lot to be desired as far as rangeing.
A Wild works great past 350 yards.Most lasers will be frustrateing at best.

what is a "wild"....

Maybe I'm an idiot, but I never heard of it. If you've got an effective way to range them little buggers, I am all ears. BTW, we don't shot too much past 400 yards too often. The wind where we are at makes that too dicey.

Thanks so far guys

I think Leupold uses 2.33 MOA for 300 yds. in their Varmint Hunter reticle (7"), but i wouldn't count on it beyond 400 or so. Of course as has been mentioned above, u'll have to try and judge the maturity of the dog to get close to that figure for "reasonably accurate" ranging. My Leica 1200 was ranging pretty good for me (to around 500 or so)last time we went out. I use the x-hair to upper post gap as my reticle rangefinder (modified mil-ranging formula) for my 4.5-14X Burris Ball. Plex reticle for pr. dogs.

I've had pretty good luck with my Leica ranging PD's out to around the 600 yd mark. Somewhere I once read 9" for ranging PD's, but that must be for pups.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.