Over 2,000 yards with a .300 Win Mag

Absolutely outstanding, well, beyond that. Congratulations all around and the best of luck to you whatever you do. We're fortunate to have you here for sure.

Thank you! I plan on sticking around:) I'm planning on pushing the limits more next summer with this and my .338, hopefully I'll have some more success stories to share!

Thanks!

I am going up to Michigan Tech, I got some really good scholarships and they have a great reputation for engineering.

Congrats and yes they do!!! There's some beautiful hiking up there as well.

I went to Ferris about 100 years ago when it had a good reputation in the School of Business, but alas, it's gone waaayyyyyy down hill in the last two decades...

Haha very true, I'll have to see about that:D I'm starting to work towards a Mechanical Engineering Degree with a focus in Aeronautics here in about a week, so I might get there:rolleyes:

I'm really excited for these Berger .375's as well, they'll give me a reason to put together a .375:D.

And I know Bryan is really wanting them so the pressure is on! LOL

Here's my motivation.

SMKs shoot great. Figure they are too thick skinned to open consistently. Went with CEB 377s. Shot lights out but 16% or 2 of 8 tumbled badly at 1020 yards.

Got some CEB 350s. Zeroed at 300 w/a 0.6 MOA group. Not great but good enough given 3 shots w/3 different charge weights.

Shot at 628 had to drop 100 fps in the software to get it good for elevation.

Loaded up some more and went back to 628 yds. Pulled a stupid by having the scope on 10x vs 20. Shot went where it should have. Next shot w/proper scope setting and shot moved appropriately. I was getting pretty pumped as both POIs were precisely where they should have been.

Cranked up another 0.5 MOA to put the POI dead center. I'll be darn'd she went dead center.

Confidence was peaking.

Moved the target and video stuff to 1028. Was confident with the dope and darn'd if I didn't miss the entire 4'x4' target holder.

I have learned the hard way to know when to fold 'em and when to run.

Am switching back to I know what works which are 350 SMKs. But they simply aren't sexy.:rolleyes:

Here's my motivation.

SMKs shoot great. Figure they are too thick skinned to open consistently. Went with CEB 377s. Shot lights out but 16% or 2 of 8 tumbled badly at 1020 yards.

Got some CEB 350s. Zeroed at 300 w/a 0.6 MOA group. Not great but good enough given 3 shots w/3 different charge weights.

Shot at 628 had to drop 100 fps in the software to get it good for elevation.

Loaded up some more and went back to 628 yds. Pulled a stupid by having the scope on 10x vs 20. Shot went where it should have. Next shot w/proper scope setting and shot moved appropriately. I was getting pretty pumped as both POIs were precisely where they should have been.

Cranked up another 0.5 MOA to put the POI dead center. I'll be darn'd she went dead center.

Confidence was peaking.

Moved the target and video stuff to 1028. Was confident with the dope and darn'd if I didn't miss the entire 4'x4' target holder.

I have learned the hard way to know when to fold 'em and when to run.

Am switching back to I know what works which are 350 SMKs. But they simply aren't sexy.:rolleyes:

Roy, what BC were you using? CEB's BC's are generally pretty good, but with the shapes of these solids, G1 BCs don't usually work the best. Just too wide of a variation over the velocity spectrum. If you had good muzzle velocity readings, and Bryan's tested G7 BC's, I would be surprised if you had those same results. At least be on the 4x4 target:) stranger things have happen though:rolleyes:

CEB are pretty good bullets in our tests. With that said, 9 times out of 10 lead core bullets shoot better and more consistently.

Hopefully Berger moves on the 375 bullets sooner than later!!! I wouldn't mind rebarreling my 300AX to 375AX to shoot the 360's or putting something much larger together for the 410's

Don't know where you can get 2K yards clear shot around White Cloud or Newaygo for that matter...lol. I'm lucky to get 150 yards over by Stanwood..... A 300 WM at 2K is a paper shooter, not much more. Not much kinetic energy left I'd say but looks like fun.

Be careful you don't shatter your windshield. Muzzle brakes are good for that (don't ask how I know)....

Have fun. From a fellow Wolverine in Stanwood.

Don't know where you can get 2K yards clear shot around White Cloud or Newaygo for that matter...lol. I'm lucky to get 150 yards over by Stanwood..... A 300 WM at 2K is a paper shooter, not much more. Not much kinetic energy left I'd say but looks like fun.

Be careful you don't shatter your windshield. Muzzle brakes are good for that (don't ask how I know)....

Have fun. From a fellow Wolverine in Stanwood.

Thanks!

You guys have way to many people down in that area for very much shooting at all:D

I live up by Clare, lots of farm land and nice hills. My family (been in the family over 100 years, my uncles run it now) has a 400 acre farm across the road from me. It is absolutely perfect. Big wide open fields and about a 30ft ridge(hill) at the far end for a back stop. At one firing point, I have a 655 yard target board that I use for load development and a 710 yard 8" gong. From another position, I have an 18" steel gong at 1,198 yards and here next spring I'm putting in a 1,100 yard 4'x8' target board for testing loads and group measurement, and practicing with my FTR rig. I couldn't ask for a better set up. And all less than a mile from my house. Heck, I can shoot out to 200 yards about 5 feet from my loading bench at home. I have access to lots of equipment (bulldozer, front end loader, excavator, dump-trucks, tractor's, etc), and we have a sand pit, so I can put/build-up a back stop just about anywhere I want that doesn't interfere with the farming. We are considering putting in pits and having our own private legit 600 yard range with a couple target carriers just for practicing FTR with my dad and uncle, just need more time:rolleyes:

Ok, I'll stop bragging:D

My ELR spot is up north of Harrison, about 30 min from my house.

For hunting, I'm still only 100% comfortable out to about 800 yards in some wind. Dead calm, 1000 would be an option depending on the situation. My real limit right now is my crummy 600 yard rangefinder:rolleyes: There is no way I would take a shot at big game with a .300 win mag at 2,000 yards, there is only like 600 FT pounds of energy left. Now a coyote, that's a different story. Its all about the fun, for me, there's nothing quite like building big guns and ELR shooting.

That's a good point about the muzzle brake and windshield, I'll have to keep that in mind.

Sometimes I think I can hear Brian testing bullets......lol

Clare is nice but thats snow country and I gave up on sleds years ago. More fun to go hunting and safer (to the body) too.

Ted's brother is my neighbor, Ted as in Nugent. Now thats one helluva deer camp. One time was enough. I'm too old for that stuff....lol

I'd lay a sheet of old plywood across the windshield if you shoot from the top of the cab. That blast is hell on safety glass.

I don't live up there, I just own hunting ground there. I live in the southeast lower north of Toldeo. I own a farm down here.

One thing I have an issue with and that is I messaged Brian a while ago about a recipe for 300 grain VLD's in 338 caliber for my Lapua. The Berger manual don't list anything at all.... Hint, I have 32 pounds of H1000 on the shelf.....

I've never gotten a reply. Maybe I should drop in when I'm up that way and get it in person?

I load 95% Bergers. The rest is Sierra in handgun loads (I handgun for deer too). A 44 Smith 8 and 3/4 is a nice whitetail harvester.

The target:

Trophy%20Pic_zpstgwkhe2h.jpg
What an excellent way to spend a day! That would score an X on my fun-o-meter. With a background in competitive long range shooting combined with experience, drive, and a taste for the outdoors, I'm looking forward to reading your accomplishments and advice for years to come.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.