Quest for a Mile- 300 Win Mag

Hi All,
Just last weekend 5 of us were shooting 1300m or 1420 yards, i know this isnt a mile not really even close but 3 300 win mags (2 cheapies, a howa 1500 and a winchester xpr and a rem 700 on a mdt ess shassis) 2 308's one cheap howa 1500 and a savage axis in a mdt lss chassis 1 22-250 and 1 303 jungle carbine.

All hit a car bonnet at 1300m, all the win mags and the savage 308 regularly hit railway ties after ranging in, both the 22-250 and the 303 with iron dights hit the bonnet.

So yes I do think it can be done and done on a budget.

Hi All,
Just last weekend 5 of us were shooting 1300m or 1420 yards, i know this isnt a mile not really even close but 3 300 win mags (2 cheapies, a howa 1500 and a winchester xpr and a rem 700 on a mdt ess shassis) 2 308's one cheap howa 1500 and a savage axis in a mdt lss chassis 1 22-250 and 1 303 jungle carbine.

All hit a car bonnet at 1300m, all the win mags and the savage 308 regularly hit railway ties after ranging in, both the 22-250 and the 303 with iron dights hit the bonnet.

So yes I do think it can be done and done on a budget.
Opinions are subject to change, next time Randy Johnson might be pitching. lol

I only weighed in as it was asked of anyone has actually tried, we had tried a similar but shorter distance, so i dont know why you would be quoting what i assume is a baseball references to an Aussie.

During the Civil War a soldier was dumped at 1390yards with a Whitworth Rifle. Thinking a Win Mag can ring a gong at a mile. I've dumped Whitetail corner to corner across a 40 acre potato field before with Browning Abolt 300 WM wearing a Leaupy 3x9x40 and 150 gr ballistic tips. Not a mile but it wasn't all that difficult to do either. Thinking if this young man puts in the work and time it's a very achievable goal. Others have done it with lesser gear. Not to mention I sure as hell not going to discourage him from doing it. He will learn a ton about shooting getting there.

During the Civil War a soldier was dumped at 1390yards with a Whitworth Rifle. Thinking a Win Mag can ring a gong at a mile. I've dumped Whitetail corner to corner across a 40 acre potato field before with Browning Abolt 300 WM wearing a Leaupy 3x9x40 and 150 gr ballistic tips. Not a mile but it wasn't all that difficult to do either. Thinking if this young man puts in the work and time it's a very achievable goal. Others have done it with lesser gear. Not to mention I sure as hell not going to discourage him from doing it. He will learn a ton about shooting getting there.
Sometimes they gits blown in and sometimes they gits blown out. lol

One thing that has helped me in transonic shooting is a faster twist than needed and Brian litz's custom drag curves. Yesterday I was making hits at 1515 yards with my 243

300 Win Mag to one mile will work. Had mile hits with 308 Win 155gr and 165gr. Used all the scope vertical, 120 MOA rail, and tree branches behind target. Not practical as a one mile rifle but there's no better way to spend a day.
6.5-284 with 140's and 7 WSM with 168's have also made one mile hits.

I don't know where you live but it is easier to get out past a mile if you live at higher elevation. Easier as far as stretching out the trans sonic barrier anyway.

I wonder how right Techy is? I live at 560m (1840 feet) and shoot form that height to 925m (3030 feet) on my place and have never noticed a difference, but now in shooting plus 800m upto 1300m (1420 feet) maybe ill have to keep it in mind. Especially since my 800m range is at 560m and the 1300m range is at about 750m.

Anyone know how to calc this?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts