Over 2,000 yards with a .300 Win Mag

mitch260

Hey guys, quick introduction before I get started. My name is Mitchell Fitzpatrick and I am a Member of the US FTR rifle team for the 2017 Cycle. The past 2 summers I have been working for/interning at Applied Ballistics LLC with Bryan Litz. And yes, I'm only 18. I do most all of my own gunsmithing work and have built 9 rifles, two of them on actions of my own design. I hope this gives me some credibility. :D

Ok, now for the fun stuff. In the last few weeks I have finally been able to get out and do some ELR shooting with a couple of my big guns. A .338 Lapua and .300 Win Mag. I have been having some issues getting the .338 to group consistently under half minute so I haven't done a whole lot of ELR shooting with it. The .300 is a different story...

My .300 is a full custom, by that I mean it started as a Bartlein barrel blank (26", 1-9 twist, Heavy Palma contour), McMillan Flat top stock (old A4 style), and an aluminum/steel hybrid action of my own design.

Rifle_zpssf1byut3.jpg

It shoots lights out with 215gr Berger Hybrids, RL-26, CCI-200's and once fired ABM brass from their loaded ammo. MV is 2995 FPS, SD is 6-7. When I say lights out, I mean...

IMG_20150811_080333648_zps7w4fshf1.jpg

.052 MOA tall by .237 MOA wide at 655 yards. Now I don't expect this on a regular basis, but my point is that it is shooting dang good. :cool: Solid sub half minute rifle/load. I've shot this rifle at 1700 yards and gotten sub minute groups, around 13", unfortunately, I don't have pictures of them.

Now, getting back to 2,000 yards. Two days ago I went out to my ELR location (tough to find in Michigan:rolleyes:) and set up a handgun silhouette as a target (all the local store had for large paper targets). Then we hoped in the truck and kept driving till the GPS said I was over 2,000 yards. It ended up being 2,025 according to the GPS. Now to get this distance, I had to shoot off the cab of the truck to get high enough to see the target. Not the most stable platform to begin with.

Taking%20a%20Shot_zps6jxrvmma.jpg

When I first got set up and ready to shoot, the wind was 4-6 MPH according to the Kestrel, at my location. Watching leaves and such down range, I decided to go with 5 MPH at 10-11 O'clock, with Coriolis and spin drift, this was a 1.5 MIL hold. First shot landed a half MIL farther right, mid range wind must have been stronger than I anticipated, perfect elevation though. At least I knew the AB Kestrel was giving me good data. I took a few more shots trying to dial in on the wind, and after a bit, the wind settled into a consistent 1.6 MIL hold.

Data%20Collection_zpspebvxzos.jpg

At this point, I shot 5 shots for a group. On shots 1 through 3, I could easily tell that the dust was being kicked up directly behind the target, definitely a good sign:D on the 4th shot, I barely seen any dust, I thought to my self, "that must have been low compared to the first 3". On 5th shot, I watched as the dust kicked up 6 inches off the right side of the target, right inline with the silhouette's shoulders. So I knew I had at least one miss for the group, elevation looked good on it though. We packed everything up and took off to go check out the target, really excited to see what we had.

Keep in mind, we are at about 800 feet here, and our air is quite thick, Barometric Pressures are typically north of 29.0 and quit often are around 30.0. Impact velocity for the 215's was 1050 FPS, we were really exercising the transonic/subsonic transitioning abilities of this bullet.

The target:

Target_zpstco3hsjg.jpg

Trophy%20Pic_zpstgwkhe2h.jpg

Shots 1-3 printed an amazing 11" group (.518 MOA!!!), Shot 4 dropped low opening the group to 25.375" (1.16 MOA). There is no way to be certain, but I highly suspect had the wind not caught me on the 5th shot, that it would have been very close too, if not in, the 11" group. All of the holes are perfectly round, showing that the 215's handled the transition really well out of the 1-9" twist.

I am beyond happy with this rifles performance along with the Berger 215's and the Applied Ballistics Kestrel. If I could do my part on the wind, a first round hit would have been possible. I have no trouble saying this equipment is sub minute capable at 2,000 yards, as I am most likely the weak link. Berger Bullets, Applied ballistics, Bartlein barrels, McMillan stocks, etc. all are top quality as far as I am concerned. And its hard to argue with 1 MOA 5 shot performance at 2,000 yards with a .300 Win Mag.

Thanks for reading!

Mitchell,

I'd be for saying that you have a bright future in the industry/sport!

I spent the morning prepping for the ELR quest. I'll be chasing ya.:) Working with some new bullets, for me, and will validate drop at 1K + in the morning.

Hows 'bout you and Bryan get on Eric's case and get some decent ELR 375 offerings coming out the door. Something in the 375 grain region (as my barrel is a 10 twist :))

What tics me off is that U R right at 4 times younger that I am. However, I am better look'n, if I do say so myself:D

Keep up the good work.

Oh, and a 2000+ yards spot is even tough to come by even in Idaho.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the kind words!

I think you'll be happy to know that the Berger .375 offerings are in the works. Bryan has designs for 360 grain and 410 grain Hybrids. I am not in a position to give time frames or anything like that, but I will say it is definitely a priority.

You should also be happy to know that the 410 grain offering should easily stabilize in a 10 twist barrel, the SG should be near 2.0 due to the lead core construction.

Thanks again

Mitch,
Great shooting and nice rig! What scope you using?

I just bought some RL26 for my .300WinMag. How many grains are you packing for that 215gn Berger? Looks like I need to try those instead of the 210 Bergers and 208 A-Max's I'vew been shooting.

JohnnyK.

Mitch,
Great shooting and nice rig! What scope you using?

I just bought some RL26 for my .300WinMag. How many grains are you packing for that 215gn Berger? Looks like I need to try those instead of the 210 Bergers and 208 A-Max's I'vew been shooting.

JohnnyK.

Thanks Johnny,

Temporarily, I am using a Millett LRS 6-25x56 that I got for Christmas a few years ago. It works, tracking is about 3% off but consistent and it has held zero thus far. Its not very clear, but it does work.

I am running 77 grains of RL-26, but keep in mind that I am running a single shot and 3.700" overall length. I highly Recommend the 215's. The speed and BC gives the .300 Win Mag some serious performance. The 200 Hybrids would also be good to try for even more velocity at the cost of BC.

Thanks for the kind words!

I think you'll be happy to know that the Berger .375 offerings are in the works. Bryan has designs for 360 grain and 410 grain Hybrids. I am not in a position to give time frames or anything like that, but I will say it is definitely a priority.

You should also be happy to know that the 410 grain offering should easily stabilize in a 10 twist barrel, the SG should be near 2.0 due to the lead core construction.

Thanks again

As I mentioned, I'm 4 times older than you. Am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not as bright and a bit closer than I was lead to believe..:D Plus patience isn't my long suit.:roll eyes:

I don't like/prefer SMKs due to expansion inconsistencies and seem to be relegated to 350 CEBs as the 377s won't stabilize in the 10 twist. At least 2 of eight didn't.

Oh and, be aggressive and snag yourself a position to give the time frames. The only direction from internship is up. :)

As I mentioned, I'm 4 times older than you. Am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel and it's not as bright and a bit closer than I was lead to believe..:D Plus patience isn't my long suit.:roll eyes:

I don't like/prefer SMKs due to expansion inconsistencies and seem to be relegated to 350 CEBs as the 377s won't stabilize in the 10 twist. At least 2 of eight didn't.

Oh and, be aggressive and snag yourself a position to give the time frames. The only direction from internship is up. :)

Haha very true, I'll have to see about that:D I'm starting to work towards a Mechanical Engineering Degree with a focus in Aeronautics here in about a week, so I might get there:rolleyes:

I'm really excited for these Berger .375's as well, they'll give me a reason to put together a .375:D.

And I know Bryan is really wanting them so the pressure is on! LOL

How does the RE-26 match up against H-1000 in the 300 win mag and why use 215's over the 230's? I'm not questing you I am just looking for info for my 300 win mag.

Thank you

Haha very true, I'll have to see about that:D I'm starting to work towards a Mechanical Engineering Degree with a focus in Aeronautics here in about a week, so I might get there:rolleyes:

I'm really excited for these Berger .375's as well, they'll give me a reason to put together a .375:D.

And I know Bryan is really wanting them so the pressure is on! LOL

That's some exceptional shooting Mitch! Well done.

Are you going to head to U of M, 'State or elsewhere? I'm from the 'Mit originally and have family and friends there.

Thanks Johnny,

Temporarily, I am using a Millett LRS 6-25x56 that I got for Christmas a few years ago. It works, tracking is about 3% off but consistent and it has held zero thus far. Its not very clear, but it does work.

I am running 77 grains of RL-26, but keep in mind that I am running a single shot and 3.700" overall length. I highly Recommend the 215's. The speed and BC gives the .300 Win Mag some serious performance. The 200 Hybrids would also be good to try for even more velocity at the cost of BC.

That's what I thought it was. I have a Millett LRS-1 6-25-56 ATACR and it has been disappointing. The first one I sent back because turrets were mushy and inconsistent. Bushnell replaced it with a new one and about a month atop my .300WinMag it went out again. I was doing load development in the back yard and decided to turn the power ring down from 25 to 6 to make sure I was still within the arms of my chronograph and the ring stopped at 20x and would not go any lower. :( So off to Bushnell again! At this point I'd be happy just to get my money back!
Thanks for the info on RL26. I have high hopes for this powder. I shot some the other day but only went to 75.0 with the 208gn A-Max. Velocity is good but accuracy not where I want it yet.
Good shooting. JohnnyK.

Absolutely outstanding, well, beyond that. Congratulations all around and the best of luck to you whatever you do. We're fortunate to have you here for sure.

How does the RE-26 match up against H-1000 in the 300 win mag and why use 215's over the 230's? I'm not questing you I am just looking for info for my 300 win mag.

Thank you

For the simple reason that I had gotten 1500 of them for FTR shooting and I have since switched to lighter bullets in my FTR rig.:D But I think the 215 is a better fit for the .300 Win Mag and they seem to perform great. You can get 3000 FPS and the BC is still phenomenal.

If I was running a 300 RUM or 300 Norma, you can bet the 230's would be in the air.

I think that RL-26 is slightly faster than H1000, but its probably too close to tell. I don't have a ton of experience with H1000, but I'm sure its a great powder. I just wanted to try the new RL-26 when it came out and it works, so I have no reason to try anything else yet, well, I do kind of want to try the new IMR stuff.

Thanks for reading!

That's some exceptional shooting Mitch! Well done.

Are you going to head to U of M, 'State or elsewhere? I'm from the 'Mit originally and have family and friends there.

Thanks!

I am going up to Michigan Tech, I got some really good scholarships and they have a great reputation for engineering.

That's what I thought it was. I have a Millett LRS-1 6-25-56 ATACR and it has been disappointing. The first one I sent back because turrets were mushy and inconsistent. Bushnell replaced it with a new one and about a month atop my .300WinMag it went out again. I was doing load development in the back yard and decided to turn the power ring down from 25 to 6 to make sure I was still within the arms of my chronograph and the ring stopped at 20x and would not go any lower. :( So off to Bushnell again! At this point I'd be happy just to get my money back!
Thanks for the info on RL26. I have high hopes for this powder. I shot some the other day but only went to 75.0 with the 208gn A-Max. Velocity is good but accuracy not where I want it yet.
Good shooting. JohnnyK.

I sent the first one I had back as well:rolleyes: tracking was 11% off and there was a huge chunk of something on the lens that could only be seen down around 12 power. This one has been "decent" so far. I am going to get a NightForce for my .338 and then my Bushnell ERS 3.5-21x is getting bumped down to this rifle. The Millett will probably sit on a .308 for messing around with. Well, or just sell it and put that money towards a Vortex or something, maybe another barrel:rolleyes: always need more of those:D

I had trouble with this rifle grouping MOA at 100 until I stopped cleaning it. It loves to run dirty.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.