Otis and other cable type cleaning systems

Are cable type cleaning systems sufficient?

• Total voters
I have a 270 from the mid 90s that has never seen a jag and from about 2006 my deployment cleaning kits (cable) is all I've used. I feel it's accuracy has improved over the last 10 years. Probably due to a larger selection of ammunition over the last 15 years. None the less, if a person doesn't mind a less than perfectly clean barrel the elk don't mind.

I could see where the cable kits may to the job if used very frequently on say something like a hunting rifle that sees very few rounds A) at one time and B) very few rounds a year. I shoot 4-5 rifles on a good weekend and can shoot 50-100 rounds thru them at a time. I just don't see how a cable kit can keep up with that amount of fouling and copper build up. But, I am going down to the local Walmart's in a little bit I might pick one up and do a cleaning with it and then follow up with my method and see how much is left over. Despite the equipment whichever u choose I have seen to many times that people simply don't know how to clean a gun period. Then when they do learn how to clean they either clean way to much or no where near enough. IMHO the condition of your barrel is directly related to down range performance of your rifle.

I agree with remmy700, the condition of your barrel is directly related to it's downrange performance. If it's copper fouled but still shoots accurately, so what? Dirty but is accurate, so what ? I know a friend who had a barrel that no matter what we did in cleaning, it would show copper after the first round. But, it shot lights out! So we quit fretting over it. That was another thought I had when going to the pull method. Like Remmy700 also said, some shooters still don't realize what can be done to a barrel by poor methods of cleaning. This is a simple method even a cave man can do without hurting the barrel.

First time caller, long time listener...
I'm not a huge fan of the Otis brand but use the hoppe's barrel snakes. Use them all the time, actually. They do a pretty good job on the AR, except for the lug areas of course. But on the ba savage, it's perfect. And it has a pretty prominent bore brush. I do several passes. Oil (CLP) on the brush, oil on the tail, pull, repeat as needed. Regular brushes on the bolt and bolt receiver area, obviously. Brush on the break. Spent a lot of years cleaning rifles in the service. Wish I had them then. I'm trying out the Lucas oil stuff, currently. It seems to do a pretty good job but time will tell.

The cable systems are great for in the field. Best thing ever. But when I want to clean my bores mirror clean to put away for storage, they don't work for that. I did get a patch stuck once in the barrel and it was a beast to remove...even after soaking for a few days.

I bet they might work better with Wipe out products or some other super cleaner.

Here's a thought. For years it was touted to really get in there and scrub that bore clean! Fo all y'all old timers, like me, you know it was Hoppes number 9 and a brass rod. No bore guides back then either. Didn't see many brass brushes either. Then bore guides came, brass brushes a plenty, super duper, heavy cleaning, foul smelling stuff. Finally, some guys told us about protecting the muzzle and throat. The benchrest guys were who shooters looked at to get the latest and greatest ways to clean our rifles to get them to shoot like theirs. Odd, but again, to restate my other post, they cleaned and THEN fouled the bore! Also, if you followed them, they usually got maybe a thousand rounds and the throat was toast. That with mild running cartridges. I know of a few (personally) rifles who are still going strong waaay past a couple thousand rounds and accurate. Not all are using the snake method, but all are being very mindful and careful how they run rods, use mild solvents, etc. through the bore. Yes, I'm one who now believes you can overdo a good thing.

Yes, Use bore snake 2-3 passes and your bore is clean. The area you need to focus on is not the bore but the chamber. Ask your barrel maker how they clean their rifles and it may surprise you.

Depends on how good your barrel is. My Blaser barrels are squeaky clean with 2 passes of a boresnake.
I have other rifles that will need a bronze brushing, Hoppes and a number of patches. Some (ex military) a patch with J.B. paste also.
A bore snake won't remove a plug of mud if you're that unfortunate!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.